Yeast Shortage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If anyone really need yeast badly I'd be willing to send you a gram or two . In the meantime now is a great time for everyone to get a sourdough starter going it's super easy and within a week you'll have an active starter so you don't have to worry about yeast for a while. I just scored a 12 lb bag of sugar and a 25lb bag of AP flour from our super market. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be saying those words-
"Scored a bag of flour & sugar" This is what we've become? This is Truly frightening/sad.

P/M me if you really need some yeast I have a little I'd be willing to send you if you really truly need it.

Hang in there fella's.

Dan

BEER can be used to make bread if you can't find yeast.
I just found a beer that's cheaper then PBRs LOL
Richie
So can butter milk with a little baking soda in it.
But starters are so easy to make that's the way I'd go personally.
I refrigerate my starter and only feed it 2 heaping table spoons of flour and a shot glass or two of clean h2o twice a month to store it. Then a few days before I need it I pull it out and give it a 50% weight of the original starter weight of flour and the same goes for chlorine free h2o 50% weight of the OG starter. I do that for 2-3 days, so far it's always come back to life quickly.

The only over the counter item I've heard that may help prevent Corona is Vitamin D. It helps build up your immunity system.

I used to get flu or bad colds at least a few times a year. About 5 years ago I heard a story on NPR about vitamin D3 and it's effect on preventing flu or at least minimizing the symptoms. I've been taking it daily since then and have not gotten sick once, not even a little cold. I might just be lucky but can't help but think it helps in some way.

Reactions: Will Squared
They probably don't. Cracks me up: plenty of meat and fresh stuff veggies in stores here but ZERO frozen "heat and serve" food. Even worse, I actually know many families that eat out/pick up every single meal.
They're learning how to cook because they have no choice. My daughter couldn't find bread anywhere last week so got out a cookbook and learned how to make bread for her family. A LOT of folks are used to going out to eat 2 or 3 times a week, but the restaurants are closed. It's interesting to hear what's hard to get around the country. Fresh produce is readily available here, but ground beef and chicken go fast. Yesterday morning the Meijer I go to had plenty of BB ribs and chicken thighs only. Luckily we like them both :-)
Eggs are like Gold....

Holy cow, I just looked at Central Milling Co web page they are sold out of many of their bread flours and all of their pizza flour. This is pretty spooky because they are the people that make the flour.
A lot of pizza joints and bakeries use C.M. flour in our area, but still a mill being sold out of flour isn't right.
I don't know if it related, but 2019 wheat harvest was very poor quality. A lot ended up going as feed wheat instead of milling quality.
Check out Hagberg falling number (FN) test.

Am I the only one noticing a yeast shortage at the grocery stores?

I went to four different stores and there was none to be found.

I was craving soft pretzels, pizza, and homemade bread.

I am suspecting that the yeast manufactures are supplying the distilleries who are making hand sanitizer instead of supplying consumers.

What do you guys and gals think?

John
Yeast has been hoarded up everywhere. its being sold on ebay for crazy amounts. Not even the Amish stores near me have any. I have about 3 dozen eggs left and after that I have heard eggs are limit 1 at most stores near me.

• Wow
Forgot to add in earlier post.
Stopped at local Walmart today for other items.
A few paper towels and toilet paper on the shelf.
Cruised the baking row. Sugar mostly gone, flour gone, yeast down to the 3 pack strips (I got 2).

If nothing else comes of this pandemic, I will celebrate the spoiled generations learning how to actually fend for themselves.

Now if we get people OFF the bottled water frenzy

Slowly recovering stocks here as swell. No yeast or wheat flour though. Got the bread machine running at the moment. Though now we can find bread in stores more often now. I had a craving for fresh bread anyway. Later today or tomorrow I'm going to make olive bread. Haven't had that in years.

Amazing isn't it the younger ones learning why we had a pantry. We are good for a few months at our house except for milk, eggs no problem Nephew has chickens keeps us in eggs.

Warren

Last edited:
Haven't checked the baking isle here lately as I had plenty of flour and yeast on hand already. Funny thing I noticed is the stock of whole frozen turkeys re-appearing. Went to the store the other day...barely any chicken or ground beef but looked like damn November again in the frozen meats sections!

Amazing isn't it the younger ones learning why we had a pantry. We are good for a few months at our house except for milk eggs no problem Nephew has chickens keeps us in eggs.

Warren

Good Luck, Milking them Chickens, Warren!! :emoji_wink:

Bear

Am I the only one noticing a yeast shortage at the grocery stores?

I went to four different stores and there was none to be found.

I was craving soft pretzels, pizza, and homemade bread.

I am suspecting that the yeast manufactures are supplying the distilleries who are making hand sanitizer instead of supplying consumers.

What do you guys and gals think?

John
I had to order mine off amazon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky