Yard Bird Roti Cook w/ No Forks Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana
I was just curious if I could get away with not using any type of forks or twine...only part of my new rotisserie system to spin one. Definitely a cheap experiment because the bird was on sale for .77 per lb. This 5.5 pounder was dry brined inside and out with a light coat of Bad Byrons...no oil at all on the skin.

The intent was to run the spits through the thighs but I wasn't paying attention
doh.gif
Oh no worries though because it's doing fantastic.... so far There is an onion on the center spit also which is in the cavity. The little birdie arm pits will be getting a tan too!
becky.gif

Also blanched some fresh green beans and added butter plus onion to cook in the upper area while the bird does its thing. The hanging rack has some Southern Style baked beans...YUM

More to come

Reactions: disco
Man that looks good..

Why would you want to run the spit through the thighs?

Looks like you could twist the bird and lock it on with the legs and wings.

Nice job! 
points.gif
Thanks much!

Man that looks good..

Appreciate it!  

I was going to run through the thighs for stability but turns out it wasn't even needed.    One thing I always hated about roti poultry was the tucked in legs and thighs.  I wanted everything open so there's no white areas and so it gets the good color and tasty skin all over.    This was fantastic..legs and wing arm pits were nice and open.... Clean up was a breeze too

Thanks much!

Appreciate it!  

I was going to run through the thighs for stability but turns out it wasn't even needed.    One thing I always hated about roti poultry was the tucked in legs and thighs.  I wanted everything open so there's no white areas and so it gets the good color and tasty skin all over.    This was fantastic..legs and wing arm pits were nice and open.... Clean up was a breeze too

Man that looks delicious!

Point!

Al
Thanks for the compliment Al

Keithe another great looking bird there.Points for sure

Richie

points.gif
Thanks Richie.... Hey do y'all like the concept of open wings and legs not tied tight to the body? ...or is it just me that hates trussing birds and the white areas after??

Last edited:
Keith it looks like it worked When I did my Turkey I didn't tie them tight

When I smoke them I tuck the wings under

Richie

Nice job! 
points.gif

Man that looks good..

Keith it looks like it worked When I did my Turkey I didn't tie them tight

When I smoke them I tuck the wings under

Richie
I always hated tucking wings too, sometimes they'd stay sometimes they wouldn't.   Well anyways I'm glad those days are behind me, especially with big turkeys.   I'm doing two 20 lb. turkeys but sideways on the spit  cooked on the drum this year for Thanks Giving..... No way those suckers will fit on traditional.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky