Would like to say hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wh42

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
NY
Hey guys,
Haven't posted here yet but have been lurking. I would like to introduce myself. A little background on me;
I grew up in a family that cooked all the time
My grandmother was a professional chef and I learned from her
Since the age of 8 I spent my time after school in restaurant kitchens learning
I am currently an executive chef and help maintain 15 restaurants
Cooking/smoking/baking/anything food are my passion
I try to instill this passion into my 2 daughters, they help me every step of the way for all meals and everything I make is from scratch as much as possible

I'm from way way upstate NY, like Canadian border upstate, I started cooking at 18 and at 22 was a sous chef under a man who graduated from the culinary institute of America and spent 20 years in France and the Ukraine. I pride myself in trying new things and putting my own spin on things as well. I am here to learn and provide input. I have been smoking meats and cheeses on my own for a few years now and aim to better that aspect of my expertise as well as provide insight where I can. I appreciate any criticism and advice, and am happy to have found a dedicated community like this.

-wh42 or Ben

Happy to give any insight I possibly can Al! I've read a lot of your threads and have done your ribs once and actually have a batch resting waiting to enter the smoker today that I'm going to have a good thread for.

Glad to be here banderson7474 and am always happy to provide insight and experience!

Thank you Teddy and Kruizer. I'll be sure to post pictures, going to pull out my DSLR for pics and posting up some good foods. I've made my own bacon for years now and I pride myself on the fact that when it comes to food, there is always an opportunity to learn. I know my way around a commercial kitchen but that doesn't mean I know everything, as no single person does. I'm always happy to teach what I know and also learn new ways to do things. I've been online for a good portion of my life and very few places allow you to learn and grow as well as provide input, SMF seems to be one of those few so I am very happy to be here!

haha I will probably get stoned to death for this but the one thing that has escaped me in the kitchen is how to cook Chinese food like you get at a restaurant.

I use to work at a place and I did take out. I want to say that the key is using a wok on high flames and cooking the meat with oil, starch, water??, salt? plum or soy sauce? and then adding the veggies and adding water? This is going off memory over 20yrs ago but every time I've tried it, it hasn't been right. I feel like I'm missing some ingredients or they are just wrong.

Garlic and ginger my friend. Cook your meat down, with soy sauce and chicken or beef broth depending on meat. Add garlic and ginger to it and reduce. Once the sauce is reduced add in your veggies. You want them crisp but not overcooked so 10 mins before service is what you want. If frozen veggies do 15 mins. It's the garlic and ginger that really bring out that flavor though. For the rice I add butter to my rice(1/2 lb to 3 lbs rice) and cook or steam for 1 hour. The rice is seasoned with chicken broth, garlic, ginger and pepper.

The meat, coat in corn starch and cook in oil until just browned.

Reactions: banderson7474
Always happy to provide my own personal experience! One cannot learn without asking questions and I have always been one to say that I'd rather answer a question than not.
Welcome to the forum. I too, am looking forward to you sharing your experience here. It's always good to get more info and ideas about cooking.

George

Hi Orben!
(See how easily a sharp knife slips between the ribs?) LOL!

I look forward to any posts you'd care to share, Ben.
Welcome out of the shadows. :D

Hi Orben!
(See how easily a sharp knife slips between the ribs?) LOL!

I look forward to any posts you'd care to share, Ben.
Welcome out of the shadows. :D
Haha I know how bad sharp knives can be...6 stitches and a nerve ending cut due to that. Plus I've broken 2 ribs in the past. I kickbox, practice Brazilian Jiu jujitsu and muay thai so I've had my fair share of injuries. Plus I launched my 2017 Subaru wrx into a ditch and only just got it fixed and am trading it for a 2008 wrx stI at 750 hp so injuries are no stranger to me. Happy to help where I can!

Thank you Warren! I'm happy to answer any questions or provide my own input where applicable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky