Wood Suggestions for smoking a pork shoulder.

Discussion in 'Meat Selection and Processing' started by smokintim, Jan 20, 2012.

1. I'll be smoking my first pork shoulder next week and wondered if anyone had any suggestions regarding mixing different types of wood or just sticking with one type. I'm considering going with hickory or apple. Does mixing the two work?

2. diesel

diesel Smoking Fanatic

mixing is fine in my book.  but if I have plenty of apple I would just use that.

3. Hickory and apple is a great combo for pork.

4. I've used apple alone or apple and mesquite

5. smokininidaho

smokininidaho Smoke Blower

I've used apple, cherry and maple with great results. I'm not a big fan of hickory as I think it overpowers the taste of the meat and too strong of a smoke flavor, that's just me though many love hickory for smoking. Mix and match is fine too, I do it all the time.

6. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

I've had good luck with Pecan.  It is more subdued, but still adds a nice flavor.  Mixing woods makes sense too.

7. I read somewhere a few years back that fruit woods go real good with pork. Maple, not being a fruit wood, also goes good with pork. I have been very satisfied with the smoke flavors with these woods.

8. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I mix Hickory and Apple frequently...Nice mellow flavor...JJ

9. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Smokintim , Butt is very forgiving and Smokes well with most ant wood. I suggest getting what is local and using that, the regional taste will most likely be welcome ...   just MHO.

10. big andy a

big andy a Smoking Fanatic

X2

Curt.

11. I used beech and cherry. It was excellent.

12. I used beech and cherry. It was excellent.

13. big dee

big dee Smoke Blower

X3

Dennis

14. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I use a combo of hickory, oak, & pecan.

15. hdsmoke

hdsmoke Smoking Fanatic

I normally use a combo cherry and hickory.  I normally always have cherry in my firewood pile, which is good cause its my favorite, and i get hickory end cuts from a local wood shop.  Sometimes i use cherry alone.  Im sure you would be fine with apple alone or mixing.  Have fun. 

16. patriots

patriots Smoke Blower

apple is great. hard to get in the north east

17. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I mix hickory and apple all the time with great results

18. I ended up mixing hickory and cherry. Turned out well. Everyone enjoyed it. Can't wait until next time!

19. coacher72

coacher72 Smoking Fanatic

I'm a Hickory and Apple guy also

20. Any Q-view? I've got an 8 pounder getting ready to smoke tomorrow, unfortunately in 14 inches of SNOW! I'm torn between mesquite and apple or alder.