Winco Egg-Price Ripoff!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For what it's worth, we purchased a 60 count box of eggs from WinCo 3 weeks ago at a cost of $2.94 a dozen but you had to buy 5 dozen. It's clearly a regional thing so shop around. The typical dozen around here lately is $4-$5 a dozen.

Reactions: noboundaries
Prices are supposedly old-school at my Costco too, but every time I go they're sold out.

Following up on my earlier comment that a 15% shortage would result in NO price increase if we each reduced our consumption by 15%...my wife and her sister recently went to the grocery store together. Upon return, my wife joyfully announced "they had no egg shortage; we got 2 dozen." I asked how much $? The wife said $2.50/doz; the sister said $5. Probing a bit, the sister was right. But to my wife even a 100% price increase over what we used to pay seemed to be lost in the noise.

As for me, I continue my 1 egg-per-breakfast routine in an attempt to be part of the price solution not part of the problem. But dang, I'm sure thinking about splurging tomorrow morning!

I usually don't eat breakfast. Maybe on weekends... but to me, if I want eggs I'm gonna eat as many as I want. Not gonna change the price one way or the other.

Ryan

Egg delivery to Daughter in Warner Robbins.
50ct

eggwro.jpg

I went shopping at Winco early this morning for some essentials. I hate shopping there at the first of the month because they will jack up prices on staples due to food assistance programs and higher reimbursements. I picked up two grade AA,18-count egg cartons and didn't pay attention to the price. Got to the register. $8.98 for the first one and $13.98 for the second! ____that! I had them remove the items from my cart.

I asked the checker why the price increase. Her answer, "bird flu." My answer is not printable here.

I literally drive 6.5 miles, passing 5 other higher-priced grocery stores, to shop at Winco. The closest other grocer to my house is a quarter mile away, but their prices are too high to shop there regularly, and trust me, I've calculated the gas price delta. I went there anyway and picked up two 18-count cartons for $6.98 each, about a $1.50 more than I pay normally at Winco.

Just venting.

Ray
So interesting. Pay 6.99 for 24 at BJ's. However Aldi has 12pack for 2.24 right now.

I read an article yesterday that so many people are buying egg-layers for new home coops that egg suppliers are having trouble finding chicks to keep their flocks at full capacity. (Forgive me if my terminology is incorrect.). That, my friends, is the law of unintended consequences in action. By jacking egg prices so high so fast, short term profits will turn into long-term losses through reduced demand. The market will ALWAYS creatively adjust to unreasonable pricing.

Reactions: chopsaw
Egg laying chix 3-5 days old at RK....1500 Week

Orschein's 900 week

TCS 600 week

Above are in Elizabethtown and Radcliff, KY

Publix in Warner Robbins today
white large $4.99 dz, 18 ct $5.99, 30 ct $8.99

Brown large $5.99 dz

...so many people are buying egg-layers for new home coops that egg suppliers are having trouble finding chicks to keep their flocks at full capacity...
More power to them Ray. But I suspect raising your own eggs is like making your wine...you have to have pretty big production numbers before it's actually saving you money. And the large (profitable) suppliers have learned to encourage the "competition" because the direct impact on their sales is minimal while the free advertising that comes from having a few DIY'ers talking up their new hobby is "a rising tide that lifts all boats".

Here's a (updated weekly) report on egg prices from the USDA:
https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/pybshellegg.pdf
Appears prices spiked in early January; the uptick now may be seasonal (Darn that Easter Bunny!)
This seems to tell a similar story:
https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/eggs-us

There seemed to be a yuppie fad in home chicken coops a few years back. The two folks I know who jumped on the bandwagon have found other hobbies since. Probably an invaluable experience for their kids though.

Bought a dozen grade a large for $1.99 today . My son said their cost is $3.30 . All works in their favor I’m sure .

Bought a dozen grade a large for $1.99 today . My son said their cost is $3.30...
More details pls Chop...
Were these bought at a store, and your son happened to know the store's cost?
Or these were bought from an egg rancher (possibly your son) and your son knew the current operating and capitalization costs are such that they were losing money.

I'd be happy to pay $3.30/doz eggs in my 'hood. Still.

More details pls
My Son is the Dairy manager at a local grocery chain . I bought these at the store he works at . They recently went thru and dropped prices on several items . Some by more than a dollar . Even though the cost is higher I guess it's a marketing move of some sort .
Prices have been falling around here .

I picked up two 18-paks of Grade A eggs at Winco today for $4.65 each. That works out to $3.10/dozen. Two weeks ago they were $5.65 each, or $3.77/dozen.

The Grade AA eggs I used to buy were $7.18/18-pak this morning, or $4.77/dozen. Not paying that price.

I read an article yesterday that so many people are buying egg-layers for new home coops that egg suppliers are having trouble finding chicks to keep their flocks at full capacity. (Forgive me if my terminology is incorrect.). That, my friends, is the law of unintended consequences in action. By jacking egg prices so high so fast, short term profits will turn into long-term losses through reduced demand. The market will ALWAYS creatively adjust to unreasonable pricing.
That is hard to believe. Maybe in California with the cage free rules.

In regular commercial, each egg ranch changes out layers 50,000 or more at a time.
There are thousands of commercial egg ranches.
Commercial eggers are not the same breed as the nice wholesome breeds purchased at the local farm store and raised by pineywoods pineywoods and BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker .

My son in law is taking care of the girls while we are in GA, send me a pic of them eating the hanging cabbage, he said they do like it huh.

Yeah they do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky