Wild turkey legs for turkey burgers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tddeangelo

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Southeast Pennsylvania
I took two turkeys this spring, and had the idea to grind the leg meat into burger for patties, with the intent to sear then smoke in my pellet smoker.

Anyone tried this? Any suggestions?

thanks so much!

no experience grinding legs for burgers, but searing first will prevent at least some smoke penetration. You COULD coat them with a sauce before smoking to help pick up extra, however I'd probably just reverse-sear them.

No. Wild Turkey legs have a LOT of little bitty small pin bones. Will be very difficult to remove raw. Best smoke them 2-3 hours (I like apple wood), then braise them in broth for 4-5 hours, then pick the bones out and course chop the meat. Really good in pot pies or turkey cornbread dressing (with the wild turkey stock from boiling).

trim the meat off the bone. You should end up with two strips from either side. trim as much fat off as you can, getting the big chunks. the small pieces of fat will melt off when cooking. weigh the meat and make cure...
1.4% salt
0.25% cure #1
1% brown sugar

cure in fridge 5-7 days

when done, lay strips out on sheet pan. Wet surfaces with Worcestershire and hot sauce:

• 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Louisiana Gold Pepper
Then season with mix:

• 1/4 cup fresh cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 sup cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup granulated garlic
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
You want a fairly heavy coating, but still be able to see the meat surface. hang on hooks or place on screens and smoke 120-130*F for 3-4 hours. I like Hickory and cherry. Then crank heat to 190*-200*F and finish to 138-140*INT temp.

Just to be sure I read your recipe correctly....

The percentages on the salt, cure, and brown sugar are percentages of the weight of the meat, yes?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky