Wild Pork Shank Ramen Noodle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
I posted this in another thread per the request of the thread creator and it seemed to be getting some traction so I made a thread for it! The post is long but detailed.
Also you don't need to use wild pork shanks and if you can't find any pork shanks than I would imagine any pork with bone in it would work as a lot of the flavor comes from bone, tendon, and other tough tissue that melts down via the pressure cooking or a looong stock pot boil.

Wild Pork Shank Ramen Noodle Soup (Real not the stuff from the store)

So if you've never had real Ramen Noodle Soup you are missing out, it is nothing like the stuff in the US stores for 35cents.
I don't claim to be a Ramen master at all but this soup will do pretty well for those of us who did not study the art for years and want something close to the real thing.

I used an InstantPot pressure cooker to cook Shanks for 75min, all soup cooking ingredients were were included except the stuff added towards the end of the cooking like the toppings and the noodles

You can use a stock pot that holds MORE than 3qt of soup and boil the shanks and ingredients until the meat falls off the one (might be a few hours, I'm thinking 3+)

Enjoy :)

Ingredients:
  • 8-9oz of angle hair noodles (the "fresh" refrigerated doughie kind work better than the dried noodles in the box but they are both good if you don't want to make your own noodles from scratch). Here is what I buy at the store in Tx if I don't make myself:
    ce6951ec07164566efa3434af4cd69e5_medium.png

• I used 4 shanks off a 60 pound feral hog (about 14-16oz of meat total; use pork, beef or chicken straight meat cuts, should be cut into thin pieces and no bigger than 3 inches long by 1 inch wide. Chicken can be in pieces with bones)

• 1 ½ clove garlic, finely chopped (or 1 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder)
  • ½ large red onion (or white or yellow)
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 2 pkg Shiitake mushrooms or Oyster mushrooms, or regular mushrooms, or any combo (remove/pull stems on Shitake mushrooms as they are inedible tough)

• (OPTIONAL) 1 ½ tsp finely chopped fresh ginger or ginger powder (if you have it on hand)

• 2 ½ tsp toasted sesame oil (I've never seen non-toasted but if you got it, go for it) DO NOT SUBSTITUTE FOR ANOTHER TYPE OF OIL. This imparts much of the Asian food flavor.

• 4 cup chicken broth (I use chicken bouillon and water for stock)
  • 2 ½ cups water
  • 1 ½ Tbsp sake (if you have it on hand, I never do)
  • 1 ½ tsp salt
  • 1 ½ tsp sugar
  • 4 ½ tbsp soy sauce
  • pepper to taste

For toppings:
  • OPTIONAL * chopped negi
  • OPTIONAL * boiled egg
  • Nori 1 Sheet (dried seaweed like what is used for sushi) CANNOT LEAVE OUT THIS INGREDIENT – can be found at most grocerie stores with an Asian section (sometimes at Walmart)

Preparation:
  • Slice the 1/2 large onion into strips. Separate into 2 piles
  • Cut thick white sections off of green onion and dice. Cut green onion stalks (green pieces) into 1 inch pieces. Separate into green stalks into 2 piles.

Cooking:
  1. -Heat sesame oil in a stock pot (big pot). Add and Sauté 1 pile (of 2) red onion, all diced white color portions of green onion, 1 pile (of 2) green onion stalks, ginger and garlic in the pan for 3 min.

2. -Add meat to pot and lightly brown (4 -6 min). Add chicken broth to pot, water, and mushrooms. Cover pot and bring to a boil.
    • IF using a stock pot you will boil shanks for hours until meat is literally fall off the bone.
    • IF using a pressure cooker like the InstantPot 75min on meat setting or 10lbs of pressure for 75 min (for normal pressure cooker folks). This will make the shanks meat fall off the bone basically.
  3. -Add sugar, salt, sake, and soy sauce in the soup and boil/simmer again for 30 - 45 min.
    • (OPTIONAL) You can make noodles during this time if you are using freshly created noodles. When noodles are finished it should be about time to add them
  4. -Tear Nori/Seaweed into 2 inch by 1 inch strips and add to stock pot.
  5. - Add the other pile of red onion and green onion stalks to the stock pot.
  6. -Add noodles and continue to boil soup until pasta is done (4-10 min usually)

IF YOU MADE YOUR OWN NOODLES:
While broth/soup is simmering, boil water in a separate large pot. When water is boiling, add fresh made noodles to the boiling water for about 30sec-1min to knock off the extra flower. Using a fork or noodle spoon transfer noodles to soup.
I find that I add a few small hand fulls/pinches of fresh noodles to the boiling water and then fish them out to add to the soup in about 5-6 goes in order to get them all into the soup. If you skip this step all of the excess flower on your fresh noodles will turn your soup broth into a gravy. The flavor is good but it then becomes more of a stew than a Ramen soup.

Serving
-Spoon soup (with noodles and meat, etc.) into a LARGE serving bowl.
-Place any additional toppings in the serving bowl, such as boiled egg, more nori seaweed, etc. Sprinkle in some pepper if you would like.

See below the image for a simple egg noodle recipe.

Explanation of Image Below:
The thing in the center is a bone in pork shank (4 in there from a 60lb feral sow we trapped this past Dec/Jan).
The darker brown circles are Shiitake mushrooms.
The light green things are green onion/scallions.
The longer dark green things are roasted sea weed.
You can also see some regular white onion in there too.
I got lazy with this batch and didn't make the noodles from scratch but I bought/used angel hair egg noodles that were never dried or boiled.
No fishcakes, boiled egg, or bamboo in here. I'm not that fancy :)
9r7s6c.jpg

If you've ever had real Ramen Noodle Soup in/from Japan or the Asia Pacific part of the world then you know the 25 cent store bought stuff in the US is nothing like the real thing and is an apples to oranges comparison.

Noodle Making portion makes

I suggest you only do this if you have one of those hand crank pasta making machines.

Instructions for noodle making from:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... m-scratch/

Step 1Gather your ingredients

You will need:
3/4 Cups Flour (see below)
1 egg
~3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
~1 tbsp water (depending on flour and humidity)

This dough doubles or even quadruples very well, although the dough becomes harder to knead.

Step 2 Mix Ingredients:
Mix the dry ingredients, make a well in the center, and beat the eggs and water inside.
Then slowly combine the ingredients together.

Step 3 knead dough:

Once your ingredients are somewhat combined, dump the stuff onto your CLEAN counter and start kneading.
The dough is ready when your hands become fairly clean and the dough does not stick as much anymore . When it is the right consistency, you should be able to lift your hand and the dough should fall off after about a second.
If it's too sticky, add some flour and knead it in. If it doesn't stick at all, add some water a few DROPS at a time.

Step 4 Let Dough Rest:

The dough needs to rest otherwise it will not make nice thin noodles.
Wrap it in a damp cloth or plastic wrap and find something to do for at least 30 minutes in the summer, up to 2 hours in the winter.

Step 5 Stretch Dough:
Take the dough ball and (if you are making a double or triple portion of the recipe) break it into a single portion (Otherwise we'll get a massive dough circle). Sprinkle some flour generously over the dough, take a rolling pin or roller and start stretching it.
or
Use a pasta machine to roll the dough into flat sheets(I have a pasta making machine, where machine means a hand crank device)

If you can, get it to about 1mm in thickness. If it starts sticking, get some more dry flour onto there.

If it starts springing back to its original shape, let it rest for a minute or two.

Step 6 Cut Noodles:
You could attempt this with a knife but once again a simple pasta machine is really the only way to go. Use the Angel Hair or the Spaghetti cutter
One like this though there are less expensive ones out there:

http://www.amazon.com/Marcato-Atlas-Wellness-Pasta-Stainless/dp/B0009U5OSO
51rBfGcZRPL.jpg

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky