Wild hog in the MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nutshell

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
So, we started with this
462852ED-08B0-40AF-92EE-9849F972027C.jpeg

Now we’re here
AB791BE6-1A38-48C7-9F27-48FBF830B88D.jpeg

Hoping this comes out ok. The shoulders were given to me by a friend. They looked pretty good. Leaner than I expected.

Smoking with a mix of apple and charcoal pellets as well as lump charcoal in the chip tray.

Cruising right along.
FDE06BC6-44E7-478A-8E63-7ECB2408B4D3.png

looks good so far, love wild hog. He seems about the right size, I learned over the years anything over 110 or 120 lbs isn't worth the effort to cook. Years ago I would get the in house spice blend from the butcher at Winn Dixie (yea, I'm that old) and do our own breakfast sausage, it was great.

Reactions: Nutshell
looks good so far, love wild hog. He seems about the right size, I learned over the years anything over 110 or 120 lbs isn't worth the effort to cook. Years ago I would get the in house spice blend from the butcher at Winn Dixie (yea, I'm that old) and do our own breakfast sausage, it was great.
Thanks. I’ve been nervous as this is my first wild hog. I brined (salt water and apple cider vinegar) the night before and the water turned very red from what I’m assuming is blood. It smelled and looked fine so I’m assuming this is ok. I’ll bring this to 180 and start checking for tenderness. These are pretty lean

It will be a little dryer, but if you add a few strips of bacon on top while it is cooking that will help there.
Also it will be firmer than a domestic pig as they use their muscles more so don't look for tenderness that your used to. Also because it is wild suggest a 170 to175 it temp.

Wild hogs haven't made it to Vt. yet. I'll be following to see how it turns out.

Chris

There are tons of wild hogs down here & I smoked a couple of hams for a friend on mine who shot one.
I didn't care for the taste, but he liked it.
I think that the heat down here & all the parasites these things pick up just kind of turned me off.
It tasted real gamey & didn't smell too good when he brought it to me.
I put it in pops brine for 3 weeks & injected the heck out of it with the brine.
There was no smell when I put it on the smoker, but I think I'll just stick to my grocery store pig parts!
I know a lot of the guys say they like wild hogs better & I sure hope yours turns out good!
Al

Reactions: Nutshell
Thanks guys. I’m hoping these turn out ok. My plan is to pull these at 185. I’ll post pics!!

Well, put it in @ 06:00 @ 225. Wrapped at 165, took out at 180. It’s tough...real tough. I can’t even pull it. Good flavor but not worthy of any praise. Should I have left these in till 205?

Is that a smoke ring I see?
2AD1ED36-0F79-4F25-8CCA-A3BD3401B9D1.jpeg

Looks pretty dry. Remember wild hog are leaner and firmer. All the fat is outside the meat where as domestics have more in the meat. Next time put a layer of bacon. Also wrapping it when it hits 165 or so will help on keeping it moist.
It will make some awesome carnitas though.

I’ve heard the bacon will help. I wrapped it at 165 but next time I may wrap it sooner. Oh well, learning experience.

I woulda definitely done bacon and all the stuff I read about wild hogs is more braised or turned to sausage. Haven't prepped it my self, and my sole trying of it it was actually in sausages..but it sure sounds like it's leaner and tougher then Venison.

Might do a bacon wrapped smoke, then maybe crockpot it with sauerkraut and onions and potatoes? Maybe use it in stew meats?

I know some others here also smoke wild hog and all so they'll obviously know more..but I also recommend checking out 'MeatEater' by Steve Rinella, he's a hunting show host, but also has -alot- of good recipes and good cooking advice. Several shows have hogs in them.

Honestly I'd chunk it up for a stew or some thing, cook it in a crockpot for a day, probably be tender and good with rice and beans!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky