Wi-Fi Temp Probe For Smoker CC Temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shootr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
I have a 6 Probe Tenergy Wi-Fi Temp Probe. I put one on a stand on the grate to monitor the CC temperature The pic shows where the probe is, and the vertical rod on the far left is the temp probe for the Camp Chef DLX smoker.

The wifi probe consistently reads 50 degrees higher than the smoker probe Seems like I have it in the most useful location to monitor the temp zone the food is cooking in.

Perhaps this is a misuse of this type of probe/thermometer (not inserted into meat, just sitting in space)? Is there a different location that would be better?

The wire lead is mostly in space, not laying on or touching the grill. I'll do a boiling water test on it when the chicken is done.

I'm leaning towards the theory the setup is out of design parameters of the thermometer. If so, what thermometer does have a wifi ability to monitor CC temps?

The oven thermometer is dead on with the smokers temp reading.

Anyways, any insight, opinions, and advice is welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_113629-01.jpeg
    IMG_20181201_113629-01.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 24
The chicken is wonderful, in case you were wondering...

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_125350-01.jpeg
    IMG_20181201_125350-01.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 23
I have the Soraken same app and colored probes and are all spot on identical boil tested. They read way faster like an instant read therm than my other cabled probes throughout my Mes in the same locations. They all read the same when temps stabilize. Boil test and put them in a circle with the tips pointing to the center of the circle. Convection a few inches away can make the probes read differently. If they boil test then all is good.

Reactions: Shootr
Convection a few inches away can make the probes read differently.

For sure. The 3 thermometers being compared (tenergy, CC, and oven) are in three different locations. Put the two movable ones as close as possible to the fixed CC and see if they get any closer together.

Well, iced and boiled all 6 probes - they're spot on - so that's cool.

Now I guess it's fooling around with probe placement in the CC to see what location get's the most accurate reading. The CC probe is dead center front to back and the little metal probe holder orients the other probe right across the prime cooking area... so I'll experiment a bit and see what I get.

EDIT: So in this position it's darn near spot on with the smoker's probe. Plus it's up out of the way of the cooking area.

Thanks again for taking a minute to help me out. Happy cooking!

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_150746-01.jpeg
    IMG_20181203_150746-01.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 17
That's good with the boil test results. You could hook up a few Tenergy probes at once to see how it preheats and then stabilizes across the grate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky