Whole turkey on the 26 " kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Haven't done a whole turkey in a very long time . Daughter brought home a 13 pound bird . Thought about just throwing it in the oven , but since 13 is half of 26 , the cover came off the kettle . I decided to set this up old school . Like I used to do years ago . Bank of fully lit coals each side , then I added 8 coal per side on the hour . Put a probe in the thigh and the breast , and one for cook temp . Kettle ran right at 350 . Bird only took about 3 hours to reach temp . I was done way early , but that's always better than late . Ran some peach wood chips right at the end for some color .
Injected with Tony's creole butter , tied up and in the fridge over night .
20201125_165005.jpg
Next morning I added some stock to the pan , and stuffed the cavity with celery , onions , carrots and garlic . Sage and butter went under the skin . I let the kettle run up to 400 , then started adjusting the vents .
When it fell to 375 I put the bird on . Settled in at 350 , just a crack back open on the vents .
After an hour , opened up to add charcoal to each side .
20201126_122534.jpg
Added charcoal twice , just to make sure I didn't lose my temps .
Second add of coal also got some peach wood chips .
In the house to rest uncovered . I don't cover poultry .
20201126_131337.jpg 20201126_131410.jpg
Rest of the menu ,
Daughter made broccoli rice , dressing and a butter finger pie .
Son made fresh green beans , and mashed potatoes . civilsmoker civilsmoker the mash was a Gordon Ramsey recipe . WOW !
I did some sweet potatoes in the 360 air fryer .
This all came out great . I haven't eaten this good on Thanksgiving in a long time .
I was ready to get after it . Hadn't eat all day , so I did the dump and run .
20201126_173211.jpg
I'm thinking that would be a good breakfast !
Hope you all had a good day . We enjoyed it .

Looks Great!!!
Nice big plate---More than I can eat today, and about half as much as I used to eat.
Needs a little more Meat, but that usually comes on the second Plate.
Nice Job, Rich!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Great looking bird! And plateful of food. Gonna have to look into Gordon's cookbooks... heard alot of great things about them lately. That butter finger pie sounds interesting... does your daughter have a recipe for it that can be shared?

Ryan

Looks great. The Turkey has a nice color but the Plated food looks amazing! I tried the Tony C's Creole Butter injection for the first time. I thought it was good but over powered the Turkey flavor a bit...JJ

Chop nice bird!!! Oh and I love the mash in the center of the plate and yes Gordon knows how to make things taste GOOD. I mean saving the starchy water and using it to fluff them..... it just transforms them! He does the same for pasta dishes. Now for some reason I’m craving mash!

Great looking bird! And plateful of food. Gonna have to look into Gordon's cookbooks... heard alot of great things about them lately. That butter finger pie sounds interesting... does your daughter have a recipe for it that can be shared?

Ryan
Ryan we have 3 of his cookbooks now! Just amazing.

yes I would love pie too

Looks Great!!!
Nice big plate---More than I can eat today, and about half as much as I used to eat.
Needs a little more Meat,
I couldn't finish it . I was stuffed . There was more turkey under the taters !
Thanks for the comments .
Great looking bird!
Thanks Ryan . I'll post the pie recipe
Great looking meal. Nice job.
Thank you sir . It was good . Looking forward to leftovers tonight !

The 26 gets more tempting with every cook you and gmc2003 gmc2003 gmc2003 gmc2003 post.
Thanks for the comments . The 26 is well worth the money . Holds great temps .
Looks great. The Turkey has a nice color but the Plated food looks amazing! I tried the Tony C's Creole Butter injection for the first time. I thought it was good but over powered the Turkey flavor a bit...JJ
Thanks . I was happy with the color . I'm picky about the color on the birds I cook .
I like the roasted garlic injection on beef . I have used this before on chickens and liked it . I think if you are used to doing your own brines , the injection falls short . I'm hooked on Pop's with a 1/2 tsp of lemon extract to the gallon . I missed that in this bird .

Chop nice bird!!!
Thanks bud . I used some peach chips on it . Need to find some chunks .
Bravo Chop. Great color on that bird. Whole meal looks amazing!
Thanks you sir . I was really happy with the color . My neighbor had that very reaction . Lol.
I knew they were sitting out there . Put the peach chips on ,, about 30 seconds . They were peaking around the corner .

Brokenhandle Brokenhandle civilsmoker civilsmoker
Butterfinger pie
Graham cracker crust
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powder sugar
2 tsp vanilla
8 oz container of cool whip thawed
1 bag of fun sized butterfinger bars . Crushed . save two for topping .
Directions .
Beat together cream cheese and peanut butter ( room temp )
until smooth .
Add vanilla and beat in powder sugar .
Fold in cool whip and crushed candy bars .
Spread filling in pie crust .
Sprinkle remaining candy bars on top .
Refrigerate 4 hours or over night .
20201127_114340.jpg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Brokenhandle Brokenhandle civilsmoker civilsmoker
Butterfinger pie
Graham cracker crust
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powder sugar
2 tsp vanilla
8 oz container of cool whip thawed
1 bag of fun sized butterfinger bars . Crushed . save two for topping .
Directions .
Beat together cream cheese and peanut butter ( room temp )
until smooth .
Add vanilla and beat in powder sugar .
Fold in cool whip and crushed candy bars .
Spread filling in pie crust .
Sprinkle remaining candy bars on top .
Refrigerate 4 hours or over night .
View attachment 472882
Thank you for that. It looks and sounds amazing!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky