Whole Foods Surf n' Squeal w/pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
Hard to decide which is he star of this meal the surf, or the squeal, so i figured the General Discussion area was the best for it.

Did some grilled oysters last weekend, and loved them, had to do some more this weekend. Called around during the week and got prices on fresh oysters. My usual seaffod stop was too far away to hit after work, so I decided on Whole Foods(I never shop here). Whole Foods had Blue Point oysters for $.79/ea. not bad, so I got a dozen. I also was told their baby back ribs(all natural, etc., etc.), would be on sale on Friday for $5.99/lb, down from the regualr price of $9.99/lb. $5.99 is expensive for bb's around here. I can typically gfet them for under $3 a pound, unenhanced, etc. I didnt have time to make another stop on the way home so I picked up a rack. The one I had the butcher grab had nice marbeling, and nice color. Curious how they will turn out.

Oysters are in the fridge, covered with a wet towel, prep will be easy, scrub em' and then toss em' on the Weber kettle, I will make a garlic butter like last week, and top 1/2 with my korean bbq sauce, and 1/2 with another sauce, or not sauced. Should be killer

Ribs already had the membrane removed, I applied my rub, and they are in the fridge waiting for about 1 p.m. to go on the WSM with lump, and apple.

pretty ribs:

rubbed:

fixin' to hit the store for a few other ingredients(beer) in a few minutes..., garlic butter prep, smoking, grilling, and finished pics to follow

thanks for looking

Oysters on the Weber are the best. Every year at Labor Day there is a group of about 20 of us that go camping at the ocean and we go right to the oyster beds and by 100-200 large ones and grill them on the Weber. We usually have a couple of different sauces to put on them when they pop open. One sauce is a garlic butter an the other is red wine BBQ sauce kitcked up with some super hot sauce that one guys brings. We also smoke ribs or turkey to go with them. I t is a great meal with great family and friend.
The best part of about the oysters is they get harvested from the beds the same morning they are soldso they are as fresh as can be. They usually run about $50 per 100 they are fresh and taste unbelievable.

heck yeah,

I bet those fresh from the sea ones are excellent.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Here in the midwest we take what we can get.
icon_neutral.gif

back, and prep is done.

Creamed some unsalted butter, white eine, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, and Tony C's in the food processor, and formed the mix into a log. In the fridge now firning up. This is what goes on the oysters once they open:

some macaroni salad(macaroni, mayo, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, black pepper, diced manzanilla olives, celery, red onion, lemon juice, Texas Pete, and parsley:

also doing some smoked "spicy nuts" ( unsalted peanuts, Tony C's, Texas Pete:

also doing some bone in chicken thighs for tomorrows gumbo(rubbed with Tony C's:

ribs ready to go on:

lower rack of the WSM:

ribs on the top rack:

Property is looking green, smoke is lookin' blue..:

almost an hour in, gonna pull the nuts off soon, using cherry wood and lump not apple.

Havent decided what method I will use for the ribs, of course im not gonna foil em', but may not use my apple juice wash either. Just might reapply rub in a few hours.

Debating if I want the oysters as a snack or with the ribs. tough decisions..

Almost time for that first shot of Crown Royal, and that first bottle of High Life.

thanks for looking.

spicy nuts(recipe idea from Low and Slow) smoked 1.5 hours :

nice snack for the White Sox game starting in a few.

Man things look good on the grill today there Jim. I think I will stick with the oysters and then maybe some ribs and then a bite of the chicken and then I would run right inside and hit the ciuch for the food coma will surely be setting in very soon.

thanks mark, I appreciate that,

the wife made the call, oysters with supper, no advanced snack..

chicken is done, pulled and sset aside for gumbo tomorrow, kilbasa(couldnt get andoullie) is on the smoker right now for that as well.

Ribs hit with applejuice tart wash about an hour ago.

good looking smoke there Jim
Im going through withdrawls. I have been so busy that
I have not smoked anything in a couple weeks.
Im off Mon - weds though and going to do some ribs and chicken on Monday
so I will be sure and post up some Qview might even have a few morals to fry up with this rain we are finally getting.

thanks lar, Ill be lloking forward to your smokes this upcoming week.

you getin' rain this afternoon or just last night?

chicken is done and pulled for tomorrow:

ribs @ 2 hours:

sprayed with wash:

snackin':

finished ribs and oysters still to come...
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

finished pics rom last night:

oysters on the grill:

done and sauced with korean bbq sauce.:

ribs:

ribs were good, but not worth $5.99/lb, and no way are they worth $9.99/lb. Ill stick with the unenhanced IBP cryo packs from RD, or the fresh pork from the butcher, local markets.

Oysters were awesome. fresh, plump, etc. Garlicky from the butter I made, and the my Korean BBQ sauce on those were really good as well.

Smoked chicken thighs were good, and I also smoked some kilbasa, that is for some gumbo i am doing this afternoon.

thanks for checking out my pics/cook.

Awesome looking smoke.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
I like the smoke ring on the ribs. The sauce on the ouyters looks great. I have to try the smokes nuts. I have a gracery whole bag full of almonds that are still in the shell. I just need to have time to crack them.

thanks I appreciate that.

the nuts were kind of a last minute adder, but I am really glad i did them. The nuts really pick up the smoke flavor in that short time. The cherry worked really good with them

I bet those almonds you have will turn out great.

wife liked this last batch so much she volunteered to hit Whole Paycheck on the way to pick me up after work on Friday..

mmmm more grilled oysters..:
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

just a fun nickname they have round these parts.

Their food is pretty, but can be expensive. WIth that said the live oysters are a pretty good deal, just a little more expensive than a local fish supplier but not bad. I might have to do 2 dozen this week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky