White brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Recipe for 16lb
560g egg whites
1.5 cups water
1.5 cups milk powder
144g kosher salt
16g white pepper
4g mace
4g ginger
4g cardamom
16g fresh grated lemon zest
8g finely minced green onion

Grind pork though a fine plate. I use a 3mm. Mix all ingredients into sheep casings. Then poach in a 167° water bath until internal temp of 155. Cool on an ice bath then refrigerate before cooking on the grill or vacuum pack and freeze

I'm really excited to make these! Do you recall if you used Diamond Crystal kosher salt or Morton's kosher salt? Morton's is way saltier so I want to make sure I use the intended one. Thanks for the recipe :)

I'm really excited to make these! Do you recall if you used Diamond Crystal kosher salt or Morton's kosher salt? Morton's is way saltier so I want to make sure I use the intended one. Thanks for the recipe :)
I use the Mortons kosher salt. But the only difference is flake size so if your going by weight you can use what ever one you have on hand. I know one of them is more dense and wont dissolve as quickly but in this recipe that shouldn't make a difference there will be plenty of time for both to dissolve correctly.

Reactions: chopsaw
I use the Mortons kosher salt. But the only difference is flake size so if your going by weight you can use what ever one you have on hand. I know one of them is more dense and wont dissolve as quickly but in this recipe that shouldn't make a difference there will be plenty of time for both to dissolve correctly.
Thanks for the info! One more question- I've seen a lot of recipes do the poach/simmer thing before freezing. Is this so the fat doesn't cook out or pop the sausages when they hit a hot grill? Just curious. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info! One more question- I've seen a lot of recipes do the poach/simmer thing before freezing. Is this so the fat doesn't cook out or pop the sausages when they hit a hot grill? Just curious. Thanks again!
I dont poach all my sausages but it basically just pre cooks them. Makes it easy to just throw on the grill when your ready. Also makes it easy to vacume pack them. If you ever try to vacume pack a fresh sausage it pretty much squeezes all the meat out of the casing lol.

Reactions: drdon and Omnivore
Got 4 butts to grind. All out of breakfast and I am gonna make these. I’ve got half and half on hand would that be ok instead of nfdm and water ? I would assume so but you know what they say about assume. Lol. Not enough hours this weekend. I got New Mexico greens to roast peel chop n bag. A 10# sirloin on the pellet going now for Chicago Italian beef for tomorrow. And my granddaughter is here to play.

Got 4 butts to grind. All out of breakfast and I am gonna make these. I’ve got half and half on hand would that be ok instead of nfdm and water ? I would assume so but you know what they say about assume. Lol. Not enough hours this weekend. I got New Mexico greens to roast peel chop n bag. A 10# sirloin on the pellet going now for Chicago Italian beef for tomorrow. And my granddaughter is here to play.
I would think you would be just fine using the half and half. Let me know how they turn out!

Didn’t take pics, but really good. For me I’m cutting lemon in half. Not bad just unusual. Guess I planned on liking them since I made 15#. Partially due to grinding 4 butts and realizing I was very low on sage for breakfast. But now I’ve got vacuum bags of ground pork in freezer I can make whatever I want.

Didn’t take pics, but really good. For me I’m cutting lemon in half. Not bad just unusual. Guess I planned on liking them since I made 15#. Partially due to grinding 4 butts and realizing I was very low on sage for breakfast. But now I’ve got vacuum bags of ground pork in freezer I can make whatever I want.
Yes the lemon is heavy for sure. We like the lemon but its not for everyone. Im glad you gave it a go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky