White brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No problem Sowsage.
Question; making close to 20 lbs, you must freeze most of it. Do you notice any flavor loss of the fresh onion or lemon after a couple months?
No not really. Or I guess if there is we dont notice it . But usually a batch gets ate up pretty quick for us. I would say we use ours up in 4 months or less. And a lot of time I give several packs away to friends and family. Also I originally would only do 8g of the lemon zest. These are pretty lemony with the extra amount but that's how we like them. Taylor it to your liking.

Last edited:
One more question for ya Sowsage, since you're using volume measurement for the milk powder, are you using store bought nfdm or the finer denser sausage making powdered milk?
Not a big deal, just curious. I'll measure and weigh it when the time comes, and keep it around 2-3%

One more question for ya Sowsage, since you're using volume measurement for the milk powder, are you using store bought nfdm or the finer denser sausage making powdered milk?
Not a big deal, just curious. I'll measure and weigh it when the time comes, and keep it around 2-3%
I use the finer stuff. I usually get it from butcher packer. But I have used the store baught stuff before after grinding it to a finer powder so i get the same results. I should weigh it out so i can note it in the recipe for those wanting to use the store baught stuff.

Reactions: DanMcG
I mixed up a small batch of your mix yesterday And it smells promising. (LOL smells better then my recipe)
I'll be poaching them later today and sampling.

Reactions: chopsaw and zwiller
Interested in your results .

Well I think they're awesome!
Seriously they have a great flavor, and the combination of the egg white and NFDM made for a excellent texture.
I was bummed when I realized I had no 24-26 casings so I had to stuff into 28-30's.
This is a keeper recipe for me, but I'll be tweaking it a touch. Thanks for sharing it Sowsage!

whites.jpg

white cut.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Sowsage,

Are you taking orders?

As I really miss my white brats, as I grew up in Cincinnati and they are staples along with Cincinnati Chili, and White Castle.

The rest of the world thinks brats are brown....:emoji_astonished:

Back home we call those mets.

I am sure there are other differences other than the color, but that is the easiest way for me to refer to them.

John

Last edited:
This is a keeper recipe for me, but I'll be tweaking it a touch.
Looks good Dan , the weisswurst I did matches his recipe spices , but adds a few things for color and texture . I agree the flavor is fantastic . I used 25mm cellulose , stuffed tight ( they came out around 32 ) and then cooked SV .
20190801_134358.jpg

As I really miss my white brats, as I grew up in Cincinnati and they are staples along with Cincinnati Chili, and White Castle.

What about stadium mustard ?

Reactions: DanMcG
Well I think they're awesome!
Seriously they have a great flavor, and the combination of the egg white and NFDM made for a excellent texture.
I was bummed when I realized I had no 24-26 casings so I had to stuff into 28-30's.
This is a keeper recipe for me, but I'll be tweaking it a touch. Thanks for sharing it Sowsage!

View attachment 402516
View attachment 402517
They look great!
It does seem like a ton of egg whites and dry milk but your right. The texture is awesome and its what we like best about these brats. Makes it very light and soft. I'm glad they turned out good for you and the recipe is very basic so it should be easy to change things here and there to your liking.

Looks good Dan , the weisswurst I did matches his recipe spices , but adds a few things for color and texture . I agree the flavor is fantastic . I used 25mm cellulose , stuffed tight ( they came out around 32 ) and then cooked SV .
View attachment 402522

What about stadium mustard ?
Glad you liked the flavor! I'm happy I helped you make the decision to go ahead and do a batch. I'm interested to know what changes you decided on. I've often thought about adding some red pepper flakes to give them a little zing. Oh and the stadium mustard is a definite yes with these brats. Actually any kind of mustard is good with these. We really like a sweet Bavarian mustard with ours.

Sowsage,

Are you taking orders?

The rest of the world thinks brats are brown....:emoji_astonished:

Back home we call those mets.

I am sure there are other differences other than the color, but that is the easiest way for me to refer to them.

John
I think the Cincinnati area is the only place that calls them Mets. Years ago I searched and searched for a metwurst recipe only to find out what I thought was a metwurst was really a white brat. Or stadium brat. Lol. Not sure how they ever came about calling them mets.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
I'm interested to know what changes you decided on.
I used a formula from Len Poli's site for weisswurst . The spice he uses matches yours almost exact , so I'm sure the flavor is really close . He adds cream ( I used milk ) and phosphates . He also uses cure 1 at half the rate . I goofed that up and out of habit added the correct amount for the weight of the meat . The color was good , but after I froze some they got darker but not to bad . Taste is awesome . I also use whole eggs in my brats , and in these .

Oh and the stadium mustard is a definite yes
Finally ! I've asked a few guys on here from Ohio about Stadium mustard , and no comments . I guess you have to go to a Reds game ? Have a buddy that travels around to different cities to watch the Cardinals . He had the mustard at a Reds game . We used to order it by the case and split it . Good stuff .

I used a formula from Len Poli's site for weisswurst . The spice he uses matches yours almost exact , so I'm sure the flavor is really close . He adds cream ( I used milk ) and phosphates . He also uses cure 1 at half the rate . I goofed that up and out of habit added the correct amount for the weight of the meat . The color was good , but after I froze some they got darker but not to bad . Taste is awesome . I also use whole eggs in my brats , and in these .

Finally ! I've asked a few guys on here from Ohio about Stadium mustard , and no comments . I guess you have to go to a Reds game ? Have a buddy that travels around to different cities to watch the Cardinals . He had the mustard at a Reds game . We used to order it by the case and split it . Good stuff .
Yea that's probably the only way to get it is to order it. I have seen it in some stores before but usually right in the Cincinnati area. I'm a couple hours north so I never see it where I'm at. Definitely real good stuff for sure. Anyone that's been to a reds game and has had it I'm sure would agree.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky