1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

White brats

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by Sowsage, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Sowsage

Sowsage Smoke Blower

Made 16lb lb of my white brats last weekend. Should have took more pics but they turned out great. My kids love these things 20190713_121036.jpg 20190720_145659.jpg 20190720_181909.jpg 20190720_195230.jpg 20190720_215729.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    tallbm, SmoovD, redbull2601 and 8 others like this.
  2. radioguy

radioguy Smoking Fanatic

Those look good!! Care to share recipe, process?

RG

Sowsage likes this.
  3. drdon

drdon Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Some good looking sausages there, OH YEAH!

Sowsage likes this.
  4. Sowsage

Sowsage Smoke Blower

Recipe for 16lb
    560g egg whites
    1.5 cups water
    1.5 cups milk powder
    144g kosher salt
    16g white pepper
    4g mace
    4g ginger
    4g cardamom
    16g fresh grated lemon zest
    8g finely minced green onion

Grind pork though a fine plate. I use a 3mm. Mix all ingredients into sheep casings. Then poach in a 167° water bath until internal temp of 155. Cool on an ice bath then refrigerate before cooking on the grill or vacuum pack and freeze

Omnivore, chopsaw, zwiller and 2 others like this.
  5. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Good lord they look good! Please share the recipe. And the casings used. They look professionally done!

Sowsage likes this.
  6. Sowsage

Sowsage Smoke Blower

Thanks, I posted the recipe I use. Give it try!

7. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Oh, I plan to. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sowsage likes this.
  8. WaterinHoleBrew

WaterinHoleBrew Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Real nice job on the brats, looks top notch. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Sowsage likes this.
  9. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Very nice . I've been looking to do some Weisswurst .
    That's a good recipe you have . Sausage looks great . The variations are all pretty close to the same , some with cure 1 some without . Gonna write yours down . That's for 16 lbs or 15 lbs ?

10. Sowsage

Sowsage Smoke Blower

That's for 16lb . It's very close to weisswurst. Almost like half traditional brat half weisswurst. And we like the sheep casing. It has a nice tender bite when grilled. Traditionally weisswurst would be cooked in hot water and the casing removed when eating. Usually a breakfast food from what I understand.

chopsaw likes this.
  11. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yeah , usually eaten early in the day . Before lunch . Poached and casing removed . Soft pretzel and some good mustard . I think alot of the time it's made and eaten right away .

zwiller likes this.
  12. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Man nice stuff!! Those look great. I love a good brat!

13. Sowsage

Sowsage Smoke Blower

Thank you!

14. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice job, thanks for sharing recipe with all. Got it bookmarked :emoji_wink:

15. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the recipe Sowsage! Sounds real tasty, I need to make a batch and compare it to mine.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  16. Sowsage

Sowsage Smoke Blower

Thanks! Let me know what you think if you get a chance to try the recipe

17. Sowsage

Sowsage Smoke Blower

Thanks! Let me know what you think. I checked out some of your stuff and videos on you tube. Very impressive! Your very fortunate to have someone to hand down all that knowledge to you. I've just been trying to learn as much as I can from reading books and help from all of the knowledgeable people on this forum.

18. danmcg

I might try you recipe this week if I have the casings.
    I think ya got me mixed up with Redbull or somebody else, I'm just an old hack with sausage, and learned like you did.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  19. Sowsage

Sowsage Smoke Blower

Yep sure did. My apologies. Lol. I would still like to know what you think for sure!

danmcg likes this.
  20. danmcg

No problem Sowsage.
    Question; making close to 20 lbs, you must freeze most of it. Do you notice any flavor loss of the fresh onion or lemon after a couple months?