Where's the membrane?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babyback

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Ok, so I have purchased BBs a few times now, and I have yet to remove the membrane. I have looked but never did find anything that resembled the membrane from all the pictures I have seen. All the BBs I have bought up till now have been fresh in a Styrofoam tray. After cooking, there is no sign of a membrane either. I guess I am trying to figure out if the membrane is easy to spot if it is still on the ribs. Any advice would be appreciated.

I bought my first cryovac BBs a couple of days ago. When I flipped them over, they didn't appear to have a membrane either. These are the Swift brand from Costco. Anybody know if the membrane is removed from these before packaging? Also noticed a strong smell when first opening the package, I understand that can be normal as long as it goes away after a few minutes.
confused.gif

If you've looked at the pics and don't recognize a membrane , then it may well have been removed . For kicks and giggles , try working a spoon along the backside of a mid rib bone under what you find. If it's there it'll lift up and pull away , if not it's been removed.
icon_smile.gif

The cryo-smell from what I've read , should rinse away when you rinse the ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky