where to put the water pan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

357mag

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Piedmont Triad of NC
I just ordered a pit boss classic and up until now I have always used a verticle propane smoker with the water pan just above the flame pot on a barrel type pellet smoker do I just place the water pan anywhere on the grate?

on my Char-Griller w/side firebox, I put the water tray under the meats smoking, steam helps tenderize and bowl collects grease. I've recently gone away from the water, and currently using a bowl of lava rocks and at other times a bowl of sand, trying to determine which is a better heat sink. I cover with foil to keep the gunk out.

When I use to use my char-grillar I would put the pan on the grate above and next to the side-fire-box opening.

Chris

No set rule for this, I think most people put it next to where the FB connects on a SF on a RF the Other end.
I have on several occasions used a water pan in my RF and that's where I put it

Gary

Don't look like any body answered your question,I am going to put me a pan rite over the fire pot the next time I smoke something on mine,I have held off trying it in order to cut down rust on every thing but what the heck :emoji_laughing:

I just ordered a pit boss classic and up until now I have always used a verticle propane smoker with the water pan just above the flame pot on a barrel type pellet smoker do I just place the water pan anywhere on the grate?

You’ll have to be creative depending on the size of your grill, on were you should place the water pan. Some use water pans to help tenderize the meat they’er bbqing and some use water pans in their pellet grills to help with temp control... For temp control, the water pan has to be of decent size and should be at least 3/4 full water. For tenderizing, the water pan should be under the meat and if possible, over the fire pot. If Your grill is limited in size, then you’ll have to be creative on were you place it. Here’s a video that may help..

Do You really need to use a Water Pan in a Pellet Grill? In most cases no, but there are times when they can be very helpful so do your research.

Remember also, that water can be a Pellet Grills worst enemy. Much care needs to be used too prevent spillage of the water into the fire pot and the entire grill itself, so if You do decide to use one, it’s at your own risk and it would void your warranty so read your owners manual completely. Good luck.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky