Water/beer pan for ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Timber II

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 15, 2023
Swamp east Missouri
Gonna try my hand at some baby backs today boys.
Did my research here and found stuff from car wash mike and so feel my plan will go smoothly. Using a rub from Paul Kirks book minus a little salt.

Question though…should I use the water pan w juice or beer in it?
Thanks

No water pan used on anything at this house. Baby backs should be pretty easy. Rub Them, cook them at 250 till the IT is about 195-200. Should be about 6 hours. Sauce the the last 30 if you want, or after.

Reactions: Timber II
If you do wind up using a water pan. Then don't waste the beer or juice - just plain old water works fine. You won't notice any difference in taste coming from the type of liquid used in a water pan.

Chris

When I had my MES I tried water and apple juice in the pan. I stopped using it since there was no difference between the two (that I noticed) and the MES doesn’t really struggle with moisture inside.

Reactions: Timber II
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky