Where to get jumbo dino beef ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHighSmokerGirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Denver, CO
Any ideas where to get these jumbo dino beef ribs at?

Are they called something different?

Everything I see at the market is meager meat on the bone.

I want whats in the picture. It's high time I mastered beef ribs now that I have everything else down pat.

IMG_9646.jpeg

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
Plate ribs (Dino ribs) are a fun cook. When a rack is done the meat pulls back pretty far from the end of the rib. That’s called “hillbilly teef” that’s about when you know they are done, but make sure they pass the probe test and not just temp. Keep that heat at 250-275 and go for probe tender.

You can get them at Costco, may have to ask butcher to order them. My go to place is Restaurant Depot. They will let you in on a "day" pass.

RG

My costco didnt have them.

I found some at a local place nearby.

This isn’t what you are looking for but I never pass up an opportunity to show these off lol

View attachment 696825
So what are those?

My costco didnt have them.

I found some at a local place nearby.

So what are those?
Mine are the ribs cut off a 7 bone ribeye roast with extra meat left on

There's a Restaurant Depot in Denver. Restaurant Depot plate ribs are packed four rib pieces in a cryovac package that will weigh around 20 pounds so you'll need to dig deep for a package. But the plus side is that you'll have three more racks in the freezer.....

We go camping or backpacking nearly every other week in the spring and fall. A few weeks ago we took our little Cookshack Smokette on a trip to Goose Point on Philpott Lake in VA and I smoked a rack of plate ribs there. Good company, a pretty setting and smoked beef ribs are a had to beat combination.

20240501_173528.jpg

20240428_174849.jpg

Attachments

• 20240223_171518.jpg
    20240223_171518.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 2
There's a Restaurant Depot in Denver. Restaurant Depot plate ribs are packed four rib pieces in a cryovac package that will weigh around 20 pounds so you'll need to dig deep for a package. But the plus side is that you'll have three more racks in the freezer.....

We go camping or backpacking nearly every other week in the spring and fall. A few weeks ago we took our little Cookshack Smokette on a trip to Goose Point on Philpott Lake in VA and I smoked a rack of plate ribs there. Good company, a pretty setting and smoked beef ribs are a had to beat combination.

View attachment 697235

View attachment 697234
Nice ribs! Philpott is a beautiful reservoir. Did you go find any fairy stones?

Nice ribs! Philpott is a beautiful reservoir. Did you go find any fairy stones?
We did several years ago. We're in Pinnacle, NC right next to Pilot Mountain State Park. Where are you?

We're maybe a little far for MileHighSmokerGirl to join us but I have a lot of beef ribs, ribeye steaks and roasts and other goodies in the freezer.

MileHighSmokerGirl MileHighSmokerGirl , beef ribs are about the most forgiving thing around. They are right up there with pork butt. I start mine at around 275* for an hour or two and then drop to 200-225* to finish them with a goal of not drying them out too much and not causing the muscle fibers to contact so much that it squeezes out more moisture than necessary. As a result, I tend to get less pull-back of the meat from the bone than most folks. Total time is usually 5-6 hours although, like many BBQ meals, the guest of honor will tell me when it's dinner time and occasionally it is closer to 6-1/2 hours.

I just logged in and checked the price of plate ribs in the Denver Restaurant Depot. They show only Superior Angus ribs at $8.15/# with average package weights of 19#.

The RD in Greensboro, NC has Superior Angus plate ribs for $7.02/ and regular Plate ribs at $6.83/# so I suspect that supply and demand is influencing the price as most folks here in the heart of pulled or chopped pork BBQ country don't know much about beef BBQ. The last time I bought plate ribs at RD it was winter and I paid around $5.80 so I also suspect demand is seasonal, too.

Best regards,

Attachments

• 20240223_171518.jpg
    20240223_171518.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Plate ribs, I have picked them up at CostCo, HEB and my local butcher. Great looking cook!

- Jason

We did several years ago. We're in Pinnacle, NC right next to Pilot Mountain State Park. Where are you?

We're maybe a little far for MileHighSmokerGirl to join us but I have a lot of beef ribs, ribeye steaks and roasts and other goodies in the freezer.

MileHighSmokerGirl MileHighSmokerGirl , beef ribs are about the most forgiving thing around. They are right up there with pork butt. I start mine at around 275* for an hour or two and then drop to 200-225* to finish them with a goal of not drying them out too much and not causing the muscle fibers to contact so much that it squeezes out more moisture than necessary. As a result, I tend to get less pull-back of the meat from the bone than most folks. Total time is usually 5-6 hours although, like many BBQ meals, the guest of honor will tell me when it's dinner time and occasionally it is closer to 6-1/2 hours.

I just logged in and checked the price of plate ribs in the Denver Restaurant Depot. They show only Superior Angus ribs at $8.15/# with average package weights of 19#.

The RD in Greensboro, NC has Superior Angus plate ribs for $7.02/ and regular Plate ribs at $6.83/# so I suspect that supply and demand is influencing the price as most folks here in the heart of pulled or chopped pork BBQ country don't know much about beef BBQ. The last time I bought plate ribs at RD it was winter and I paid around $5.80 so I also suspect demand is seasonal, too.

Best regards,
I'm in Chesapeake, but I used to travel all over the state kayak fishing. I think I have a set of Dino ribs in the freezer myself.

I got mine at my local meat locker that I work part time at! They were so big that they hung over the drip tray.
The next cook I had the best grease fire you could ask for from all the grease that collected by the fire box :emoji_sunglasses:

Beef plate ribs, can be had at most Sam's Clubs. Never on display, you have to ring the bell and ask for them. Usually $7-$8 bucks a pound. RAY
This. I asked a guy stocking the meat case and he wheeled a whole cart out so I could pick what I liked. They come in a 2 pack (2x4 ribs) at about 12lbs if you want the lower price so about $100.

If I see short or flanken ribs at Stator Brothers I usually ask if they have any full racks. Most of the time they are happy to go in the freezer and pull several cryovaced full racks. Score!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky