Where to buy pork belly?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake0531

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Mulvane, KS
its Sunday so the butcher shops aren’t open around here. Does Kroger (Dillons) or Wally World sell pork belly? Wanting to try pork belly burnt ends for first time today since it’s supposed to be 55 degrees outside.

not around here they don't and have been unable to find a pork belly a few times I have looked at Sams

My main Supermarkets don't sell Bellies, unless Mrs Bear is keeping it a secret.
I get mine at a local Family Butcher Shop. They get them from a supplier.
I have to order a week ahead of time.

Bear

Pretty sure sams or Costco is your only chance never seen in Dillion’s
I just checked with stroot locker. They sell them in 10-12 lb slabs for 3.49/lb. I’ll probably get one from them and freeze half. It works out since they are about half a mile from my house.

So did you make some burnt ends yesterday?
I will be doing them this weekend. The butcher shop that sells the pork belly isn’t open on sundays and I don’t have time during the week. Saturday it is! I figured if they come out good Saturday I’ll do some for super bowl Sunday party

I will be doing them this weekend. The butcher shop that sells the pork belly isn’t open on sundays and I don’t have time during the week. Saturday it is! I figured if they come out good Saturday I’ll do some for super bowl Sunday party

You probably should phone in an order. To avoid being disappointed....
Even my source, Sam's Club, is occasionally a dry hole. So the Butcher himself told me to phone.
(He's a nice guy, there early mornings. Score!)

You probably should phone in an order. To avoid being disappointed....
Even my source, Sam's Club, is occasionally a dry hole. So the Butcher himself told me to phone.
(He's a nice guy, there early mornings. Score!)
Yep He said he’s going to hold one for me. They average 10-12lbs each he said

Reactions: SonnyE
Excellent Jake! You are all set for a great experience, and a great SB Party.
Have Fun!

And you have established a great meat source to mine.
Thanks! Any suggestions on recipes? I like the idea of a jam or jelly but have yet to choose a recipe off of here yet. Plan to follow Jeff’s steps.

I haven't tried a single recipe on SMF that gave me bad results. They are all good!

I followed Preacher Man's Pork Burnt ends, but loosely.
So I left out the Dr. Pepper and the Huckleberry in my first attempt.
Mine got gobbled up at a family party Christmas Eve. The DIL had 3-4 helpings herself!
I'm a big user of Sage Honey in my cooking. I put it in my BBQ sauce, and other places (Dutch's Baked Beans).

I tend to follow many recipes loosely. I find myself tasting, then add things I like to them.

Burnt Ends are a good candidate for crock pot fare. Just keep them on low at the party so they don't cook.
Once folks taste them, they tend to come back and dig in.

If you can find Huckelberry preserves, follow Preacher Man's. Otherwise, make it your own.

Reactions: jake0531
I'll throw mine at you. There are many more on here. Mine is less exact on measurements, but I understand not everyone cooks like that. I'm sure you'll find one that suits your style.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ends-with-dr-pepper-huckleberry-glaze.282495/
This is the one I have been wanting to do! Do you have the measurements? Also does the bbq sauce type matter? I’ll jusr be using a store bought one. I have kc masterpiece original and some kraft hickory at home but I don’t know if those will work or what do you suggest. That huckleberry glaze sounds heavenly

I haven't tried a single recipe on SMF that gave me bad results. They are all good!

I followed Preacher Man's Pork Burnt ends, but loosely.
So I left out the Dr. Pepper and the Huckleberry in my first attempt.
Mine got gobbled up at a family party Christmas Eve. The DIL had 3-4 helpings herself!
I'm a big user of Sage Honey in my cooking. I put it in my BBQ sauce, and other places (Dutch's Baked Beans).

I tend to follow many recipes loosely. I find myself tasting, then add things I like to them.

Burnt Ends are a good candidate for crock pot fare. Just keep them on low at the party so they don't cook.
Once folks taste them, they tend to come back and dig in.

If you can find Huckelberry preserves, follow Preacher Man's. Otherwise, make it your own.
His is the one I plan on following. I think that glaze sounds delicious. I tend to follow recipes to a T at first. Then try the end result and make a note to change this or that next time. I’ve never been good at tasting sauces or seasonings and been able to change, I have to wait until everything comes together and is done then make changes next time I cook.

This is the one I have been wanting to do! Do you have the measurements? Also does the bbq sauce type matter? I’ll jusr be using a store bought one. I have kc masterpiece original and some kraft hickory at home but I don’t know if those will work or what do you suggest. That huckleberry glaze sounds heavenly
The only reason the type BBQ sauce is going to matter is how sweet you want your finished product. Dr. Pepper is sweet, so my 10-2-4 BBQ sauce is intentionally pretty sweet. I think the sweet pairs nicely with the richness of the pork belly. If you want a little less sweet, then get a less sweet sauce. If you want a little kick, get a sauce with some spice.

I didn't really measure anything out for the glaze, but this will get you a nice glaze:
1 c. BBQ sauce
1/4 c. Dr. Pepper
1/4 c. Huckleberry Jam
Combine everything in a pan and heat on medium to med-low until everything is blended and smooth. Pour over your burnt ends and give 'em a toss to coat everything. Then stick it back in the heat uncovered for 15 or so minutes. What you're looking for is that glaze to get sticky.

As an alternative, you could swap out the Dr Pepper for Cherry Coke and use with Cherry Preserves for a cherry glaze. Or Apple Juice and Apple Jelly. Or Sprite and Apricot Jam. Or...

Last edited:
Reactions: jake0531
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky