Pork Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KM0AGA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
I did a pork belly today. This was my longest smoke on the new smoker. The meat was 6.25 pounds and was smoked from 0800 to 1930 (11.5 hours). I have never had a pork belly take that long ever. Final temp was 190 degrees. The pork belly also expanded in height (never seen that before either).

I used 4 oz of hickory. My bark did not get as dark as it does on my Weber using the same recipe. I have done multiple pork bellies on my Weber (third picture attached) and they were very dark. Normally 8-9 hours to get to 190 degrees.

I also had a temperature probe issue near the end of the cook. At 1800 the probe was reading 179 degrees. I verified with my Thermoworks at it read the same temperature. I spritzed and the probe temperature dropped to 176 and never recovered. I have a Cook Shack SM066 electric smoker.

It smells great and will be eaten for lunch tomorrow.

20230409_193202.jpg
20230409_193207.jpg

completed.jpg

I did a pork belly today. This was my longest smoke on the new smoker. The meat was 6.25 pounds and was smoked from 0800 to 1930 (11.5 hours). I have never had a pork belly take that long ever. Final temp was 190 degrees. The pork belly also expanded in height (never seen that before either).

I used 4 oz of hickory. My bark did not get as dark as it does on my Weber using the same recipe. I have done multiple pork bellies on my Weber (third picture attached) and they were very dark. Normally 8-9 hours to get to 190 degrees.

I also had a temperature probe issue near the end of the cook. At 1800 the probe was reading 179 degrees. I verified with my Thermoworks at it read the same temperature. I spritzed and the probe temperature dropped to 176 and never recovered. I have a Cook Shack SM066 electric smoker.

It smells great and will be eaten for lunch tomorrow.

View attachment 662607View attachment 662608
View attachment 662609
It looks good to me!
Some odd things can happen now and then, especially if the airflow gets messed with by big pieces of meat or pans and such.

It seems you got it where you wanted and looks amazing. Let us know how it tastes :D

Reactions: JLeonard
I just finished vacuum sealing. I sneaked a little taste. Very yummy for my tummy. I should have grabbed my phone and taken a video when I cut it in half. The way the juice rolled out, it reminded me of the point of a brisket.

This pork belly was picture perfect juicy. I did not have to squeeze it after it was cut. The pork belly was oozing juice.

I went back and pulled my notes on my other pork bellies. The total time was between 8-9 hours and temperature was 225-230 and darker bark. This pork belly was very good. I brought it in to work and my coworker loved it.

I have noticed with this smoker that the smoke infusion (flavor) seems to be more intense at a higher temperature. When I cooked the fatty's and the shotgun shells, the temperature was around 275-300 for an hour and half. I used 2oz with those cooks and the smoke was amazing.

I used 4 oz with this and it was smokey but not like the fatty's or the shotgun shells. I ate the left over shotgun shells about month after the Superbowl. When I opened the frozen vacuum bag, I was hit with smoke (it was awesome).

I am going to go with 250 next time and cook to temp and feel. I'm doing a brisket next month. I have smoked several briskets on my Weber with no issues. I even used Sous Vide on a brisket for 62 hours and smoked for 3 hours. It was very juicy but was not like a properly smoked brisket.

More to follow.

Reactions: tallbm
I picked up a small piece at a Publix the Saturday before Easter and did a salt only EQ cure. Roasted in the air fryer and it also shrank from end to end but got taller because I didn't remove the skin. It was a sad little piece of pork that got 6.99lb. Hell, I would have bought a 2 lb bigger rib roast for the same 14$ if I'd known how it was going to come out.

Yours looks great.

Dayummmm that looks good haha. Like others I want to see slices! My mouths already watering.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky