WHere is the point here or isn't there one???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
So bought this angus usda choice 10lb brisket the other day and it's going on the smoker Tomm. In the past I've bought slightly bigger ones with more defined point parts where there was the visible point overlap and deckle fat, on this one I'm not seeing that. I see there is more fat on one end and the meat composition the fibers are wider and thicker but again because I can't find a definitive place to cut I may just leave this whole. If u were to separate it just for cooking time where or wouldn't u cut it at all. And disregard those scalped spots I'm still working on my trimming without my boning knife which is coming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 37
Looks like they trimmed the fatty portion of the point off. The remaining flap looks like it is still there in pics 1 and 2. I'd just leave them attached personally, but you will have a pretty decent fatty vein in the middle of your slices.

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks like they trimmed the fatty portion of the point off. The remaining flap looks like it is still there in pics 1 and 2. I'd just leave them attached personally, but you will have a pretty decent fatty vein in the middle of your slices.

Ok I clearly see what ur sayin. I see the meat change fibers butthats prob just end of the point that barely overlays the flat. I just cut into a tiny portion of that fat vein and if I trimmed it the point would be very small so I'm gonna leave it all whole. Appreciate the quick reply.

Yeah in picture 1 its the muscle on the bottom and you can see the fat seam between it and the flat.

I too would leave it on. Place your meat probe in the thickest yet center most portion of the flat muscle... basically the thick middle spot of the flat that is under the point muscle. That will be where you get the best reading. I put 3 probes from different angles trying to hit that sweet spot and usually only 1 hits the mark because it is the one that measures way lower than the other 2 hahaha.

I use 3 because I seem to hit the spot 1 out of 3 attempts is what I have found where the other two can be off by 10 degrees very easily.

I hope this info helps :)

Yeah in picture 1 its the muscle on the bottom and you can see the fat seam between it and the flat.

I too would leave it on. Place your meat probe in the thickest yet center most portion of the flat muscle... basically the thick middle spot of the flat that is under the point muscle. That will be where you get the best reading. I put 3 probes from different angles trying to hit that sweet spot and usually only 1 hits the mark because it is the one that measures way lower than the other 2 hahaha.

I use 3 because I seem to hit the spot 1 out of 3 attempts is what I have found where the other two can be off by 10 degrees very easily.

I hope this info helps :)

thats what I thought just by the size of the muscle fibers was point plus it’s got more marbling. I’m a more flat guy as is my wife so last one I bought was 14lbs but a more packer size and the point was easily identifiable and I separated that for burnt ends. I could’ve done more dissection and separated them but figured it’d be a small point to use for burnt ends. Gonna keep this one together and see how it goes. Thanks again for the help

So here it is after 4 hrs on the smoker. Been foiled and in the oven at 250 now since 12:30 and IT is 201deg at both probes now. Prob start skewer testing it in another hour.

Attachments

• IMG_3425.JPG
    IMG_3425.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: JC in GB and TNJAKE
So here it is after 4 hrs on the smoker. Been foiled and in the oven at 250 now since 12:30 and IT is 201deg at both probes now. Prob start skewer testing it in another hour.

It's looking good. If it is already at 201F you can try a tenderness probe test right now, there is a chance that it might be getting close with it being an angus cut. Tenderness is coming soon and after a rest you will be in brisket heaven! :D

I pulled it right after I posted and it was so tender. The flat looks ry but totally wasn't as by evidence of the cutting board. But the flat/point connection was the best juiciest part. That was so good. Little heavy on the pepper but I wanted that more traditional Texas rub and evencthe drier flat ends were floooing over the knife and pulled apart so easy.

Attachments

• IMG_3426.JPG
    IMG_3426.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3428.JPG
    IMG_3428.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 18
I pulled it right after I posted and it was so tender. The flat looks ry but totally wasn't as by evidence of the cutting board. But the flat/point connection was the best juiciest part. That was so good. Little heavy on the pepper but I wanted that more traditional Texas rub and evencthe drier flat ends were floooing over the knife and pulled apart so easy.

Congrats on the success, it looks good to go!

You have discovered how good the point is on a whole packer vs separating and cutting up and making burnt ends out of it. The point is the best part to me and I almost cry when people mess with it rather than just smoke it as is on a brisket lol :D

I do my "burnt ends" from the thin portion of the flat that I trim away on whole packers. That thin chunk of meat will just burn up anyhow so I kind of just turn it into burnt ends so the burnt end crowd gets some along with any of the natural burnt ends that develop on the whole packer :)

I'm glad you had a good result and got to enjoy the heaven that is a well cooked brisket :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky