1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What's on your menu for Xmas?

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by schlotz, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:05 AM.

1. schlotz

schlotz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

We have our traditional dinner on Christmas Eve. I've done all sort of things over the years but this time I'm going back to one of the family's favorite. For appetisers it's smoked Moink Balls & Piggy Shots plus homemade Paté. Main meal is a Mixed Grill: Smoked & Reverse seared Tri-Tip, CSRs & Rack of Lamb, a salad w/Palm Hearts & from scratch French dressing topped with fresh Maytag bleu cheese, Hasselback potatoes and for desert, Rhubarb Custard pie. Oh, and plenty of very good WINE!

2. ravenclan

ravenclan Smoking Fanatic

my daughter and son in law and three grandkids will be here for Christmas and we always do a ham for the lunch. but for the days before, My son in law and I will be smoking a bunch of stuff.
    We are going to do Dino Eggs, Baby back ribs, a pork shoulder for pulled pork, and I also want some smoked potatoes. We also want to try something different but not sure what.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:08 AM
  3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Christmas Eve, a traditional dinner is Beer Batter Haddock, Potato and Cheese Pierogi, Fried Sauerkraut, Peas, Olives and a Vegan Polish Mushroom Soup. Christmas Day, Roast Beef (Rib Eye ) potato and veg sides...JJ

xray and Derek717 like this.
  4. schlotz

Try a smoked Crown Pork Roast

5. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I will be watching the mailbox for our invitation.

schlotz and Derek717 like this.
  6. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Don't know about the actual Christmas Dinner as of yet.
    But my favorite SiL is coming down from PA and has requested some meals.
    Bodacious Burnt Ends, Smoked Mac-n-Cheese and Parmesan Zucchini.
    She also wants Tacos Al Pastor and Cilantro Lime Coleslaw.

Derek717 likes this.
  7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey Bro, please post the Al Pastor marinade recipe. Thanks...JJ

8. chilerelleno

Inadvert Al Pastor
    Oh My Gosh, Quite Possibly the Best Tacos

Faux Pastor
    Al Pastor Bastardizo - Bastardized Al Pastor

JJ it's pretty easy to fake, and fake it well.
    Three most important items,
    Well seared and/or charred pork
    Mild red chile sauce
    Pineapple

Pork nicely seared/charred after being well marin in a mild red chile sauce incorporating pineapple.

Guajillo chiles are the most authentic, add some achiote paste or powder, or even paprika for more color.
    Pineapple fruit and juice bring the sweetness and a key flavor
    The sear/char on the pork works the final magic in the chemistry.

When I find pork cutlets or steaks cut from the butt for cheap ir is Al Pastor time.

zwiller likes this.
  9. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Our is Christmas Eve that way the kids can do what they want Christmas day and visit the outlaw side of their family.

We have the traditional turkey and stuffing, sauerkraut, succotash, max and cheese, smashed potatoes and pasta salad. For appetizers we have hot crab dip, dried beef dip, delved eggs and all kinds of pickles and olives. Desserts will be pumpkin pie, Jewish apple cake. apple pie. sweet potato pie, white potato pie and some cup cups and what ever else some one makes and brings.

Warren

10. My family has a tradition of eating the same foods every year. For Christmas Eve, we have fried fish, fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, and cheese and potato pierogi with butter and onions.

Christmas day, we have ham and kielbasa, pierogi and various side dishes.

On New Year's, we have pork, kielbasa and sauerkraut.

11. schlotz

Hey Braz, you haven't received it yet? :D

Kris, Ooo Pierogi's NICE!

Chile, the Al Pastor sounds great!

12. xray

xray Smoking Fanatic

Our Christmas eve dinner is very similar to yours.

Fried Haddock with homemade stewed tomatoes.
    Pierogi: Cheese, potato, cabbage and prune.
    Halupki
    Fried sauerkraut
    Mushrooms
    Bobalki with poppy and honey.

There’s also another dish, I don’t know what it’s called but it’s basically a mix of barley and poppy seeds.

chef jimmyj likes this.
  13. retfr8flyr

retfr8flyr Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

We always do a Christmas Eve party, kind of finger food dinner, at my oldest sons house and then do a Christmas dinner at our house. I always make turkey, just like Thanksgiving, as there isn't a lot of other reasonably priced choices when you are feeding 19 people. Before the family go so large and I retired, I did turkey for Thanksgiving and standing rib for Christmas.

14. kawboy

kawboy Smoking Fanatic

For generations we've done fish and apple strudel for Christmas eve dinner. The style of fish has changed a bit, but it's always the main dish. Now it's mainly a fish fry with tons of side dishes as siblings try to out do each other. My oldest sister has the family strudel recipe and makes it ever year.

15. schlotz

19 and retired, gotta hand it to ya Earl. Turkey is a great choice.

Like the idea of a side dish competition, Kawboy.

retfr8flyr likes this.
  16. retfr8flyr

retfr8flyr Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Yep, 4 children, 10 grandchildren, the wife and I and 3 spouses of 3 of my children. The youngest daughter hasn't married yet. Holidays, Birthdays and all summer, things are very busy at my house.

17. chilerelleno

For some strange reason there is a can of pineapple chunks, a container of Guajillo chile powder and another of Annatto sitting on my counter, and in the fridge is a tray of pork steaks.
    I'm thinking Sunday for lunch.

18. chef jimmyj

I have Mulato, Pascilla, Cascabel and a fragrant New Mexican variety. I have to toast and grind a bunch for Chili. I think I will make a batch of Adobo for AlPastor later in the week. Thanks...JJ