What's in a name?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
For years I've gone without bread pudding, one of my favorites, because my says she hates it. I've had it in restaurants and at friends' homes, but I've not made it at home. This morning I was making French toast and realized I'd made way too much custard. Undaunted I made the 6 slices of toast, ripped them into bite sized pieces and placed them in a small greased cake pan. Then I dumped the remaining custard liquid on top and baked at 350 for 45 minutes. When I presented her with this "French bread casserole" she absolutely loved it. Didn't have the heart to tell her.

Basic recipe was

4 eggs

About 2 cups of milk

2TB honey

2 pinches fresh grated nutmeg

Pinch salt

Pinch ground clove

Pinch of vanilla powder (or 1/2tsp vanilla extract)

Make 6 to 8 pieces of French toast in the usual manner, then tear into pieces, dump on leftover custard and bake 45 minutes at 350˚

For a glaze I used:

1 cup powdered sugar

2tsp milk

1tsp lemon juice

Mix until combined.

It's also really good with maple syrup, obviously.

When I presented her with this "French bread casserole" she absolutely loved it. Didn't have the heart to tell her.
YOU DA MAN!!!!  I LOVE THAT CREATIVITY!!!!  The recipe looks great too!  I just added it to my Living Cookbook software complete with the story you shared above.  I'm making this Monday morning on President's Day!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky