Whats a Beef Bottom Round Flat?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by rbranstner, Mar 9, 2010.

  1. rbranstner

    rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    I was in the local grocery store picking up some Pork butts for $0.99lb and I always check to see if they have any specials on brisket or anything like that but this store never has brisket. I was looking and they have a Beef Bottom Round Flat which looks pretty much like a full packer to my untrained eye. So my question is, is this a full packer they just call it something different??????
  2. t-bone tim

    t-bone tim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Hello the bottom round flat is a muscle from the hip also know as outside round , pieced together with the inside round ( top )and eye of round ( middle ) the 3 muscles make up the hip ... it is fairly lean , great for jerky , stews , tenderized steak ( cube ) or slow roasted with moisture added .... this piece does not compare to a brisket and will have much less natural flavour due to lack of internal fat and marbling that the brisket has .

    hope this helps ya out .
  3. smokingohiobutcher

    smokingohiobutcher Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    In simple mans terms it is a rump roast. The whole flat. As T-Bone said is does not compare to a briskit. It is too lean and could dry out if smoked the same way as a briskit.
  4. pops6927

    pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Does it resemble this?
  5. mballi3011

    mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    If this thing is good for jerky and stuff like that it would seam to me thats it's really big too.

Share This Page