What type of salt for wet brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
South Aus
Everything I have read says kosher salt, I can’t get it where I live.

So many types of salt I’m confused, anyone know a good substitute?

If I inject the brine first does that speed things up?

Use Morton regular non iodized salt. Make sure you weigh it as volume is different between salt types.

I use Mrs. Wagers Pickling and canning , because it does not clump up . If you can't get any of those just use plain non iodine salt as mentioned above .
If your asking about injecting bacon ? , I don't . Other things I do .

Just use something non iodized. Kosher salt is preferred because it does not have any impurities. Some salts like sea salt have minerals that can affect the taste of the sausage and give it a 'metallic' after taste.... but some people are use to sea salt and like it.
Biggest thing is no iodine and weigh the salt. Measuring by volume is not accurate because it depends on how the salt is ground, fine salt will weigh more than coarse salt per equal volume....

Reactions: webs05 and Jabiru
I ended up grabbing Sea Salt flakes natural, all I could get. It works fine as you guys said.

Thanks for that Indaswamp: I mixed 50 gram of salt per litre of water and sugar as per Pops Brine.

Did Salmon, Snook and scallops with it @ 8 hours. They came out of the smoker real good.

Also brined loins @ 12 days. Not to salty at all.

I’ll follow smoking Als recipe below with Pops brine for the loins next time.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/canadian-bacon-lots-of-qview.242914/

Reactions: webs05 and JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky