What type of pork is this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrthor2

Original poster
May 25, 2019
BD04A671-55C6-47F1-893D-734F1348A3BF.jpeg
FB18A17A-1363-486F-8510-BB3C5765A695.jpeg
i got this from a meat buyout but not entirely sure what type of pork this is. Pork shoulder? Pork butt?

Thanks!!

A little to frozen to tell, but I'm leaning towards loin roast maybe. how big is it?

Frozen it weighs 3lb.

Can this be used for pulled pork?

Thanks!

Not really the best cut for pull pork, you want something with a lot of fat marbling. If it is a loin, then it's very lean.

If not pulled pork, then what? Can I smoke it the same way I would as pulled pork, but just slice it up then, instead of pulling apart?

Thanks for all the help and advice!!

It looks like a roast from the Tail end of the Loin. If you can handle a Knife, bone it out and place the small portion, fore ground 2nd pic, in the larger piece of Loin, Butterflied to an even thickness, with Rub and roll and tie it. Rub the outside and smoke to an IT of 140-145 rest 15 minutes and slice...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
yeah it's from the loin end of the loin, if it was mine I would brine it in pop's brine and smoke it and have a ham dinner, if not like chef jimmy said bone it out and roll it or cut into pork chops and save the tenderloin for another dinner

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky