what to do with this slab of pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
back around Christmas i wanted to try something different so i bought a whole pork loin thinking i had the talent to butterfly the thing to make stuffed pork loin for Christmas dinner alrernative. due to my lack of knife skills i ended up frankensteining together a stuffed pork loin. (picture for attention.) anywho, i had this slab of loin left and mama got all whippy cause it was still in the garage freezer. now i have to figure out what to do with it. FWIW I'm not huge pork fan unless it's butt or bacon. was thinking about stuffing something in he crack and tying it up.
Unless i get get some motivation here. second picture is what I'm working with.
TIA
john

IMG-4245.jpg

IMG-4360.jpg

Make a sweet and savory stuffing of apples, bacon, sweet onion and whatever seasonings you prefer.
Stuff and lightly truss it up.
Something like this,

Glaze with my Apple Glaze.

Pork loin (and tenderloin) is lean and delicate so you could always pound it out into cutlets (aka Schnitzel) and cook it this way. It's even good on a sandwich.

There are two methods for stuffing a loin roast, one is butterflying, and the other is called roll cutting.

My first thought is also to cure into loin ham or back bacon, eh.

That reconstructed Cuban sandwich sounds really good.

Are you a sauerkraut fan John?
Cut into chunks, and layer in a crockpot with the kraut and apples. Apples is the key to sweeten and mellow the kraut plus flavor the pork.

back around Christmas i wanted to try something different so i bought a whole pork loin thinking i had the talent to butterfly the thing to make stuffed pork loin for Christmas dinner alrernative. due to my lack of knife skills i ended up frankensteining together a stuffed pork loin. (picture for attention.) anywho, i had this slab of loin left and mama got all whippy cause it was still in the garage freezer. now i have to figure out what to do with it. FWIW I'm not huge pork fan unless it's butt or bacon. was thinking about stuffing something in he crack and tying it up.
Unless i get get some motivation here. second picture is what I'm working with.
TIA
john

View attachment 659835

View attachment 659836
I have no stuffing recommendations for you because all stuffed dishes seem to come out underwhelming to me.

HOWEVER, if you cut that sucker into some big rectangular steaks and seasoned with SPOG + a little tiny bit of Cayenne.... you could make some meat chops grilled to just hit 145F!!!!

Reactions: chilerelleno
I say pork loin cordon bleu!
Al

If really not sure can give you my address, lol

But all great answers above and so many things could be done

I will second John's chilerelleno chilerelleno Sweet and savory apple with the glaze. I have done this and it is wonderful.
And not that hard to put together.

and your christmas stuffed loin roll looked great

David

Last edited:
Fold it back together so the fat cap in on the outside. Tie back up with string every two inches. It will be important that the thickness is basically uniform end to end. If not you might have to trim the thin part off. Cover the outside with a fair amount of kosher salt, followed by a generous amount of garlic powder and lastly with lemon pepper (be generous with this as well). Now dredge it in flour. Slide a rotisserie through the center lengthwise and secure. Place on the grill at approx 350º & spin for maybe 1 hour or until the IT reaches 140º. Use a smoker tub to add yet another flavor layer. The fat combined with the seasonings make a wonderful basted coating. Pull and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Full recipe is in the sig below.

Last edited:
Dang! Now I might have to go get a chunk or two out of the freezer... you all are making me hungry! If you're a jerky fan, Bearcarver Bearcarver posted a really good pork loin jerky step by step.

Ryan

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky