What sub forum does fried rice go sides?? lol

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

Steve H posted some Asian stuff a while ago that was awesome. I really like Chinese food as my 1st stepmother was Chinese and the latest one is Thai. I have the good packets of fried rice seasoning from Kikoman, jasmine rice and the other stuff for fried rice. I am a little concerned though as I have no Wok and the packets are for 3 cups of rice. I have a sheet pan I could use on the Gravity feed, a 12" CI skillet and a stock pot. Seems that everything is precooked and you're just mixing the flavor packet inbut ......

LOL thanks in advance for any thoughts u might have,
Christian

Last edited:
I would use the CI. The stockpot will probably steam the rice too much. I've heard of the sheet pan method but never tried it. The key to good fried rice is to use rice that is at least a day old. Fresh rice will get mushy if you try to use it for fried rice. You want to use that hard cold block of leftover rice from the fridge. Break up the chunks a bit with your hands, make sure the pan is really hot, and toss the rice in the pan, use a spatula to break up any remaining chunks of rice. You don't need to use the whole packet of seasoning I frequently use half or even a third and save the rest of the packet for next time. In addition to the packet, I throw in some butter, egg, veggies, soy sauce, and a little sake. If you don't have sake a little water will work. I have an indoor wok, an outdoor propane fired wok, and a Blackstone that all work very well for fried rice but sometimes I'm just lazy and do it on the stove in the CI or non-stick skillet and they still yield good results.

-Brandi

I would use the CI. The stockpot will probably steam the rice too much. I've heard of the sheet pan method but never tried it. The key to good fried rice is to use rice that is at least a day old. Fresh rice will get mushy if you try to use it for fried rice. You want to use that hard cold block of leftover rice from the fridge. Break up the chunks a bit with your hands, make sure the pan is really hot, and toss the rice in the pan, use a spatula to break up any remaining chunks of rice. You don't need to use the whole packet of seasoning I frequently use half or even a third and save the rest of the packet for next time. In addition to the packet, I throw in some butter, egg, veggies, soy sauce, and a little sake. If you don't have sake a little water will work. I have an indoor wok, an outdoor propane fired wok, and a Blackstone that all work very well for fried rice but sometimes I'm just lazy and do it on the stove in the CI or non-stick skillet and they still yield good results.

-Brandi

Thanks, yeah I busted out the Ci and dusted her off lol. I guess I can do 2 batches. I put the packet into a salt type shaker so I could get an idea what half would be. I have some pork loin chop things safeway keeps sending me chopped up into small pieces marinating in la choy sweet and sour sauce and marinade as we speak. One thing I love about the gravity feed is it's basically a charcoal oven lol :<) I might try the sheet pan method some time just to use the grill. LOL

Fried rice is the easiest Asian dish to cook. No wok needed to reheat basically leftovers
Smoked and rice don't go together in my taste.
Fire cooked meat (not smoked) is the furthest I go in the fried rice. Marinated is good.
What is a "good" seasoning package? I don't use anything packaged to avoid sugars and salt.
Pan fry the eggs chopping well then put aside. Pan fry the veggies of onion, garlic, peppers, and peas. I add diced carrots and diced bamboo shoots.
Dump in the meat and eggs and stir well to warm completely. Take off heat
I use coconut aminos instead of tamari at this point to season your meal

Fried rice is the easiest Asian dish to cook. No wok needed to reheat basically leftovers
Smoked and rice don't go together in my taste.
Fire cooked meat (not smoked) is the furthest I go in the fried rice. Marinated is good.
What is a "good" seasoning package? I don't use anything packaged to avoid sugars and salt.
Pan fry the eggs chopping well then put aside. Pan fry the veggies of onion, garlic, peppers, and peas. I add diced carrots and diced bamboo shoots.
Dump in the meat and eggs and stir well to warm completely. Take off heat
I use coconut aminos instead of tamari at this point to season your meal

The Kikkoman's fried rice spice packs is what I got. I have briquettes in my Gravity feed atm so it wouldn't be smoked.. I was just thinking I could have cooked it on the sheet pan with the lid open.. I think I will just do half fried rice and keep the other half of the rice plain and use half the meat for fried rice half for just sweet and sour.

If you want fried rice it is easy to make here is a Philippine dish I make a lot.
Richie

Reactions: checkdude
Your gravity fed is best used to cook the meat added to fried rice.
You don't get along with your step mothers to learn from them?

It was really an issue of pan space. 3 cups of rice is a lot for a small pan and you want it fried not mushy. The GF can basically be an oven powered by briquettes and the sheet pan could be used as a large frying pan in it. As for the step mothers The 1st one wasn't a fan of other people kids I was lucky if she even talked to me. The current one lives in Thailand with my father and we don't speak often.

• Sad
Reactions: Fueling Around
It was really an issue of pan space. 3 cups of rice is a lot for a small pan and you want it fried not mushy. The GF can basically be an oven powered by briquettes and the sheet pan could be used as a large frying pan in it. As for the step mothers The 1st one wasn't a fan of other people kids I was lucky if she even talked to me. The current one lives in Thailand with my father and we don't speak often.
I've got ya beat! I'm on my 5th stepfather lol

Fried rice is doable on the stove but to get it near take out you need the wok and HIGH heat and some. I use a wok and my propane "cajun cooker". The high heat creates smoke and flavor and is called "wok hei". IMO if you get the heat going well and a decent recipe pretty much anything you cook will taste legit. Fried rice is actually an art but seriously, high heat and basic recipe will make some TASTY stuff. FYI I think the discado forum is where most guys post wok/stir fry.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole:

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Fried rice is doable on the stove but to get it near take out you need the wok and HIGH heat and some. I use a wok and my propane "cajun cooker". The high heat creates smoke and flavor and is called "wok hei". IMO if you get the heat going well and a decent recipe pretty much anything you cook will taste legit. Fried rice is actually an art but seriously, high heat and basic recipe will make some TASTY stuff. FYI I think the discado forum is where most guys post wok/stir fry.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole:

Thanks buddy that video was sweet lol. Appreciate all the tips. Headed to the store to pick up some veggies and will get to cookin later today.

Reactions: zwiller
Done both the sweet and sour pork and the fried rice. The 12" CI was big enough. Not bad for a 1st attempt i didn't do carrots and I used can pee's which weren't that great. The sweet and sour wasn't bad I used extra pork loin chops I had and I only had flour instead of corn flour so not super great. I have poopy pics sorry lol. Thanks for all the tips.
rice1.jpg
rice2.jpg
swet and sour.jpg

I've got ya beat! I'm on my 5th stepfather lol
TNJAKE TNJAKE
Too funny Jake.

My childhood best friend that I've been bud's with since 2nd grade, over 50 years of friendship going strong, had 9-step daddy's as we called them. His Mom was like a second Mom to me my whole life, she was the sweetest lady that pampered the hell out of us. When I stayed at their house, she always made 3 hot meals and made sure the bedding were to my liking, I still remember her carrying in 4 diff. Pillows too, see which one I preferred. When my bud and I went fishing, hunting or four wheeling I'd get back to their house and all my cloths were freshly washed and folded, hell she even made her hubby wash and wax my 1965 396 CI SS Chevelle, he always said he enjoyed working on my cars because I kept them in such good shape.
I used to let him drive my cars, knowing that he would fill them up with Union 76 106 octane premium race fuel. Back then, the engines in my cars and trucks ran 14.5 to 1 compression, so they would blow head gaskets on anything under 102 octane, which was $0.90 per gallon for the good stuff.
Heck, a tin of snuff only cost $0.55 back then. LOL!!!

I could never understand how she was married so many times, God rest her soul, what a neat lady she was, I miss her dearly, I always used to tease my wife telling her that I was going to send her up to serve and apprenticeship with Linda, my bud's Mom. LMFAO!!!

• Love
As a ps the Sweet and sour was 100% better after the battered meat soaked in the sweet and sour sauce over night. I would highly recommend this sauce. I did however overcook the veggies YET AGAIN lol. I always pull em out (early) only to relaize I overcooked em. Seems they continue to cook well after I pull em off. I hope the ads ok... Sweet and Sour Stir Fry Sauce | La Choy

I do a blend of Thai and American Chinese fried rice.
I would suggest a bag of mixed veggies from the freezer case, but if you don't want carrots then a bit more work as I don't do peas, either.
Breathe of the wok or "wok hei" is a Japanese expression.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky