What size holes in the grinder plates to use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexlan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
For general sausage like salami, snack sticks, kielbasa what are the prefered size of the grinding plates to use.

I generally grind through my largest plate and then a second grind through a 1/4" plate.

This new grinder I bought seems to have a bad set of sizes.  The large plate is 10 mm and the other plate is 4.5 mm.  One seems too big and the other too small.  What should I buy?

thanks

Yeah... those sizes are weird...... My large plate is a 7mm and my small plate is a 4mm.... I use my 7mm for sausages which gives it a meaty texture and use my 4mm for sticks, summer sausage and dogs....

rexlan, morning....   Depending on texture, I will grind part through the small plate and some through the larger plate...  I usually grind all the fat through the small plate for better distribution in the finished product...  Dave

It certainly looks identical to a lem.......I only double grind when doing hot dogs then I have a small sunbeam food processor I puree with... small amounts at a time......I am in the market right now looking for a machine to puree... I am looking at the vitamix and the ninja food processors.. something heavy duty but I dont know if they will pass the test of time........ Cougar 98 (Kevin) does double grinds that come out nice....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/126739/german-bockwurst-with-many-pix 

Dont know why the first one wont show....Just search  german bockwurst and take a look

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/125079/smoked-beef-knackwurst-with-pix

Last edited:
I bought this food processor and will say I am very impressed.  I made a 10# batch of deer dogs with it.  Did a fine grind on the meat/fat then into this machine and drizzled water in it.  Made a nice puree and it was quick.   I only put a lb or so in at a time but it was like 20 seconds and done.

I had a Vitamix many years ago ... very expensive and grossly overrated IMO.  I actually gave it away.

I have been grinding through my stuffer plate than through a 5/16

The plate you use depends on your personal preference for texture, I like a courser grind, 10mm plate (3/8"), like what is used for classic cold smoked kielbasa that I had in Poland. I grind snack sticks finer.
f11409e39a1cee4cmed.jpg

Photo by Papla in Poland.

The Guide Series and LEM grinders are quite different, but the Guide Series does seem to get some really good reviews.

~Martin

Last edited:
I only double grind if i want a fine emulsion. Thru the med plate 2x.

Rexlan, I bought a LEM's #12, 3/4 hp grinder this summer and it does not look like the Pro Series you show. Not sure what brand Gander

offers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky