What kind of meat is this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrthor2

Original poster
May 25, 2019
Can anyone tell me what kind of meat this is? And the best way to smoke it?

Attachments

• 331B907C-0CF2-4F74-95AD-963B8095B3CF.jpeg
    331B907C-0CF2-4F74-95AD-963B8095B3CF.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 76
Looks like a hunk of Chuck. Smoke 225 to 275 until an IT of 205 and or probe tender. Pull the Beef, add a lite sauce, if desired and enjoy on rolls or as a Taco filling...JJ

Reactions: Burgi57Chevy
So this is meat that you pull apart, like pulled pork, not slice almost like you would a brisket or something?

Thank you very much!!

I was going to guess strip loin.

So this is meat that you pull apart, like pulled pork, not slice almost like you would a brisket or something?

Thank you very much!!

Yes...With brisket, the muscle runs horizontally, across the flat. Start at one end a slice across the grain. The average piece of Chuck, for Pot Roast or London Broil, is a small Slice from a huge muscle. So the muscle fibers run Vertically. You would have to stand that meat on its side to slice across the grain. However, the short fiber will Pull apart easily, a Pork Butt.

I was going to guess strip loin.

There is an awful lot of Fat marbled in that meat. If Strip Loin that would be Prime or Wagyu. The OP certainly would have remembered having THAT in the freezer!...JJ

Reactions: wbf610
You can make it that way and slice it. But, as I said above, the muscle fibers are vertical and will run the width of your slices, top to bottom. Since you have no choice but to slice WITH the grain, the slices will seem more Chewy than meat cut Across the grain, like Brisket. Your meat, your choice how to smoke it. Both sliced or pulled will tate good...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky