• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What is this 'dark meat' part of the pork loin?

man0fsteel

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Hello all,

I've been buying whole pork loins from Costco for years. I always try to find the loins that have the biggest portion of this darker band of meat attached. It is, like most dark meats, more moist and flavorful than lighter meat next to it.

Does anyone know if this part of the pig has a name and if I can just buy that?? I've tried to search for the answer elsewhere to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

MoS

Attachments

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
not sure what the actual piece you have circled is called maybe part of the deckle? not really sure though

JCAP

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
No idea what it's called but I think it depends on where the loin is cut from the pig. It really is a great piece of meat. It's definitely a different muscle/muscle group than the lighter region.

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
There's more dark as you get closer to the shoulder end. I like that end for smoking. For pan frying or cutlets or other fast cook methods, I use the sirloin end. Center cut is good for either.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Yeap shoulder end has the red meat, the loin end has the white meat.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
If you ever have a chance to get some Berkshire pork loin it’s all redder richer meat.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Its just a different muscle. That part is really tender and when cured its darker too.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2019
If you ever have a chance to get some Berkshire pork loin it’s all redder richer meat.
I hear the Berkshire is great tasting meat. Do you have to order it? Never seen it down here in SE MS.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I hear the Berkshire is great tasting meat. Do you have to order it? Never seen it down here in SE MS.
I am fortunate that one of our nicer Kroger grocery stores carries it. They buy from an Ohio farm that raises them exclusively. I have bought belly at around $4.79 and loin chops around that same price. It’s is a much richer redder pork.

man0fsteel

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Oh man...I love me some Berkshire Pork to begin with. I need to be on the lookout for whole loins. Where do you get them from?

man0fsteel

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Thanks all - Sounds like it's not it's own 'cut'. SmokerJim - I was thinking the same thing...that it's like the cap of the beef ribeye.

Costco (and other butchers) sell ribeye cap by itself. I wonder if they will ever sell the pork version...Mmmm

man0fsteel

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I am fortunate that one of our nicer Kroger grocery stores carries it. They buy from an Ohio farm that raises them exclusively. I have bought belly at around $4.79 and loin chops around that same price. It’s is a much richer redder pork.
I'm sure some place sells it here in Los Angeles...but it probably costs WAY more than what you pay. The stores I go to that sell Berkshire pork bellies charge $6-9/lb.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I'm sure some place sells it here in Los Angeles...but it probably costs WAY more than what you pay. The stores I go to that sell Berkshire pork bellies charge $6-9/lb.

Around here they sell whole Pork Loins----About 9 pounds each, and the last couple years they are usually under $2 a pound.

Bear

man0fsteel

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Around here they sell whole Pork Loins----About 9 pounds each, and the last couple years they are usually under $2 a pound.

Bear
Is that for Berkshire Pork Loins? That's a great deal. I think Costco charges about the same for regular pork loins

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Is that for Berkshire Pork Loins? That's a great deal. I think Costco charges about the same for regular pork loins
They wouldn't give me their names---Just their Rank & Serial Numbers.

Just kidding---I believe these were just regular Pork Loins. Bershire have to be a bit more $$$ than that !!

Bear

stillaqua

Joined Oct 8, 2016
Hello all,

I've been buying whole pork loins from Costco for years. I always try to find the loins that have the biggest portion of this darker band of meat attached. It is, like most dark meats, more moist and flavorful than lighter meat next to it.

Does anyone know if this part of the pig has a name and if I can just buy that?? I've tried to search for the answer elsewhere to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

MoS
I believe that's called the blade end (or rib end, depending where you're from) of the loin with the dark meat. It's often cut into boneless country ribs. It thins out pretty quickly as you move down the loin towards the sirloin end. Ask your butcher for a pork blade roast from the rib end of the loin. Bet it would make a nice ham.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.