what does alabama white sauce taste like?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Armyguy2004

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
so it's a vinegar based sauce.
people claim it to be so good..... i am not such a fan of sour things, so .... is sourness the dominant taste of the sauce?

thank you!

I think the real key to this "sauce" is not using at sauce at all but as a marinade.

I’ve had it at a few spots down south over the years. Bob Gibson’s spot had the best I’ve had. It’s good on smoked chicken or turkey. Vinegary mayo with pepper is what it tastes like to me. It’s not bad but I can’t see using it on anything but poultry.

If you buy some make sure it’s made in Alabama. That way you know it’s made with real Alabamian‘s! It’s the secret that ingredient.

Reactions: Armyguy2004
Taste like Creamy Cole Slaw Dressing to me but with a little Heat from the Horseradish and Cayenne. Make your own and add as much Sugar as you like. This is the recipe I use...JJ

White Bubba Q Juice /Alabama Style

3C Mayonnaise, Hellman's (Hey I'm a Jersey Boy!)
1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4C Honey or 3T White Sugar
1T Horseradish, prepared
1tsp Celery Seed, ground
1tsp Salt
1tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Onion Powder
1/2tsp Garlic Powder
1/2-1tsp Cayenne Pepper
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce

Whisk all ingredients together until well combined. Taste and adjust Sweet, Sour, Salt and Heat to your taste. Refrigerate at least two hours for flavors to meld. Divide, with half to be brushed on the meat during the last half hour of the cook and the remaining half to be used as a Dip at the table.

People dunk finished chicken in it, (I drizzle it on) you don't cook it on like traditional bbq sauce.
Now you tell me ,
20180715_173903.jpg 20180715_180319.jpg
All depends on what you like I guess . Makes great chicken , but I do like it as a dipping sauce .

Reactions: Bearcarver
Well, it kinda, sorta tastes like(insert drum roll) Alabama white sauce!!! :emoji_anguished::emoji_sunglasses:

Sorry I couldn't resist. I've never had it.

Chris

I make it for chicken when I do big batches of drumsticks or quarters. My family loves it. I basically whip my own up with mayo, vinegar, artificial sweetener, garlic and a lot of black pepper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky