What Are Y'all Doing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Been buying Sirloin Steaks at Sam's, price works out to around $3 a plate for the two of us and of course the 80/20 ground beef that I divide into 8 oz packs.

To more accurately answer the question; I'm sitting on a balmy 38 degree Spring day watching a snow storm destroy my landscaping, this after not being able to grill all Spring due to Red Flag fire weather!
Not quite that bad here in the PNW, mostly rain. But they are saying that next week the high temps are going to skyrocket into the low 60's.

I do all the meat shopping and wait for sales, helps that my wife doesn't eat much meat. Score primes at Xmas and Easter, never pay more than $5lb, make my own sausage for 99¢ a pound butts, get yardbird thighs and legs at Sam's Club for 97¢ lb. Read the ads, when T-bones came on sale here I asked the local butcher to cut me some 1& 1/2" thick steaks, they were more like a porterhouse, guy told me they love doing that for folks who appreciate meat. Keep your eyes peeled, check local ads for all your local markets on the net, talk to your local butcher, they love cutting special orders. Hell, I ain't changed a thing. RAY
DSCN3766.JPG

Busy at work lately but in a couple weeks will be dead for the summer. Loaded up on 38lbs of rib roasts a couple of weeks ago. I usually can find chicken breast for $1.99, will load up this week. 80/20 chop meat on sale for $2.99 so will probably grab a bunch.

Generally cooking for two now so don't need a ton. Would like to get some filet mignon below $20/lb but don't think that will happen.

Have not gone fishing for a while, the local party boats are now $110 for a four hour trip and catching mostly porgies that I don't really like.

I was a bit sad to see price increases today. Gas $6.30/gal. Mayo, coffee, eggs, all increased more than $1 per container, lb, or dozen.

Still, picked up two Select grade untrimmed tri tips for $3.98/lb. That's 4 in the freezer and half a consumed one in the fridge. About the only beef I buy these days are sale tri tips, petite sirloins, and occasionally chuck eyes. I started making my own sausage with inexpensive butts I bought last year and stuck in the freezer. And parting cheap whole chickens is fun and fast, something I never did but learned on YouTube. A sharp boning knife is essential.

I was a bit sad to see price increases today. Gas $6.30/gal. Mayo, coffee, eggs, all increased more than $1 per container, lb, or dozen.

Still, picked up two Select grade untrimmed tri tips for $3.98/lb. That's 4 in the freezer and half a consumed one in the fridge. About the only beef I buy these days are sale tri tips, petite sirloins, and occasionally chuck eyes. I started making my own sausage with inexpensive butts I bought last year and stuck in the freezer. And parting cheap whole chickens is fun and fast, something I never did but learned on YouTube. A sharp boning knife is essential.
TT for $3.98/lb I would buy a truck load. Never saw it less than $7.99. Gas yesterday was $3.69 at costco here in NY.

TT for $3.98/lb I would buy a truck load. Never saw it less than $7.99. Gas yesterday was $3.69 at costco here in NY.
The Choice grade TTs are $7.99 or higher. Selects are $5.99 regular, $3.98 on sale. I am choosy and get the ones that are full of marbling. Always tender and delicious.

I haven't seen $3.69/gal in a year. California price gouging on gas.

Oh, and I am baking bread. Have two rustic loaves bulk fermenting for 12-18 hours as I type.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I think it’s crazy these topics even come up in this day in age.. FJB.. let’s go Brandon.. I’m ready for mean tweets again. My wallet can’t afford to keep filling up this $4.50 gas and $5.50 ground beef.. it’s just stupid! I don’t even want to look at the 401k

Doing what we can. Being careful on portion control. We. Or should I say. Me. Am stilling having issues remembering we are no longer a family of 5.
I've given into the fact that since my 401K has dropped like a cannon ball through jello I'm probably going to work at least 3 more years.
Meat prices are stratospheric and not slowing down. TT here is still around 22.00 a pound. But, we are well stocked. And we replenish as sales dictate.
We canceled our vacation to the outer banks. And will do one closer to home. Thinking ADK instead. We are all having to hunker down and hope things improve.

Things are the same here north of the border. Everything way up, like you guys.
Watch the flyers for sales , and try to buy in bulk if a great sale. And don't get me going and gas.

But like Steve H Steve H said, got to remember , just cooking for 2 and one of us most times eats like a bird,
and trust me , I can't fly.

David

Gas here is anywhere from 4.66 to 4.79/gallon. It may be higher this morning. I'm just glad we're empty nesters these days. I'd hate to be feeding a couple of bottomless pit teenagers and their friends.

Chris

I was busy today.
Wife said get busy for the craft shows.
Love the cups !
Those look great and should be a fast sell . Nice work .
I got bored awhile back and hacked together some cell phone holders out of the scrap box . My daughters friends saw them and got all goofy wanting one . They are kind of handy .
1653153381484.jpeg

Love the cups !
Those look great and should be a fast sell . Nice work .
I got bored awhile back and hacked together some cell phone holders out of the scrap box . My daughters friends saw them and got all goofy wanting one . They are kind of handy .
View attachment 632384
The cell phone holders are awesome! I wonder if you could wire in a plug in charger? Those would sell like hotcakes. I’m envious of you creative guys, especially wood workers. It is a true talent

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I am stupid, still raising animals
Well, I guess that makes two of us, at least. I don't really make much on cattle, but at least it allows me to keep the freezers stocked with beef without getting raped buying beef at the grocery store.

Reactions: pc farmer
Well, I guess that makes two of us, at least. I don't really make much on cattle, but at least it allows me to keep the freezers stocked with beef without getting raped buying beef at the grocery store.
And hopefully write off some nice machinery and equipment!

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky