What Are Y'all Doing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And hopefully write off some nice machinery and equipment!
That only goes so far since the feds expect you to show a profit now and then. I spent ohhhhh almost 13K on a new Land Pride batwing a few years ago and didn't write it off. I did get a killer interest rate, and the manufacturer's (Kubota owns Land Pride now) insurance pays full replacement cost should anything happen to it. If it gets stolen, or I roll it in a holler somewhere, or whatever, they will cut me a check for a new one.

Reactions: Nodak21
Rick, we are very frugal and only buy what’s on sale or in the manager special bin! I cannot believe prices of food…. but as they say… fuel goes up and everything goes up!

I also think it’s ridiculous, a few years ago… gas was half the price and food was not overpriced! Wish someday that folks would learn!

Reactions: TNJAKE and DougE
I read an article today as to how Washington State is configuring their gas pumps for double digit prices, IE, $10.00 a gallon gas. The almighty Lord help us.

I read an article today as to how Washington State is configuring their gas pumps for double digit prices, IE, $10.00 a gallon gas. The almighty Lord help us.
It's going to get rougher than a cob before it gets better.

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE
I don't raise any hogs, so I just stock up on pork when there's a sale. The cheapest I've seen pork butt on sale lately is $1.49/lb, which is cheap enough to keep my sausage making and buckboard bacon going. Been awhile since I have seen a 99 cent sale on butts.

I don't raise any hogs, so I just stock up on pork when there's a sale. The cheapest I've seen pork butt on sale lately is $1.49/lb, which is cheap enough to keep my sausage making and buckboard bacon going. Been awhile since I have seen a 99 cent sale on butts.

I have a pig going to the butcher Tuesday

Reactions: DougE
I have a pig going to the butcher Tuesday
Excellent. Kill dates are hard to come by around here. We have some calves big enough to slaughter, and we have people who want them, but we can't get anything in until fall.

Kee-ripes! With our greedy state gov't, that does not surprise me at all. We've asked for a suspension of the state gas tax, but they won't even consider it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Kee-ripes! With our greedy state gov't, that does not surprise me at all. We've asked for a suspension of the state gas tax, but they won't even consider it.
They are supposedly suspending here in NY...but only after $4.00/gal But I guess if it gets to $10 in might make a difference...lol

Excellent. Kill dates are hard to come by around here. We have some calves big enough to slaughter, and we have people who want them, but we can't get anything in until fall.

I called my butcher Thursday, it goes Tuesday. They was really backed up but must be getting better around here

This is not for everyone, but, we can get “kill and chill” dates fairly fast. This is just the slaughter, split and cool down one day, then we pick up next day and butcher. I have a meat band saw and we just get it done. There are ways around, but you have to want to.

Reactions: YooperSmoker
The states sales tax on gas isn't the problem or the solution. Ours is a tax of .27 per gallon. Gas price here is $4.42 per gallon. As far as I'm concerned my state is doing stellar in the grand scheme. Some state aren't. We shouldn't allow the federal government to have so much control over us.......then we can thrive

I’m a bit late on this but I went to a 9/80 (should say 9/104) week then work from home mon/fri & mon/thurs. So only drive to the office 5 days over two [email protected]/gal for the oil burner it saves a bunch...... also when we moved 2 years ago we are now in town....the wife calc’d what our fuel price would be at the old place and it would be close to 1400 a month....vs 300 now. If prices go above 6 I’ll be working from home all but 1 day a week again!

And then Costco is now selling these baby’s vac packed in whole sections for 3.99/lb. still cheaper than pizza or a burger place.....So we still BBQ!!! 3-4 nights/days a week!!! Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ you need to check your Costco to see if they have them!
B27DDBBC-9A5C-4C16-BB8C-4766834B8E73.jpeg

oh and no more movie & out to dinner nights (not much to see anyway and we cook better at home than any place in town)....oh and we don’t have cable or direct TV or any of those monthly fee thingys.....

Feed prices are outrageous.
Ah...well....I did not consider that. I was thinking pastured animals.
I saw a youtube a while back of a guy up north somewhere that turns his hogs out on a marshy area daily. They love cattail tubers. He also supplements them with whey mixed with duck weed, waste grain, and a vitamin regement....lets that ferment overnight. Feeds the pigs cheap.

Reactions: YooperSmoker
Chop

Those are really nice phone holders. Friend of mine in South Africa makes custom ink pens, i could see one sitting by your holder.

Nice

Reactions: chopsaw
We run Idaho Pasture Pigs [IPP] primarily grass eaters
its a darker pork than corn fed pork
still need pellets for a balanced diet
so far the feed prices are holding
the nearest USDA processor is 3 hrs away and local processors are booked out a full year.
so we process our own pork
the hardest part is don't get attached to the pig [and they are good at ''sucking up'']

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky