What’s up with my skillet?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dap9

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Rochester, NY
0DC5866B-BFDF-43DF-8E0F-73B7819F166B.jpeg
This is a Lodge 15” that I recently reseasoned. I ran it through my oven’s self-clean cycle and started building up layers using Crisco as described by this guy: The seasoning starts at 3:50

I only clean it with hot water and a Lodge brush. I’ve done some bacon and cooked some eggs in butter to get some animal fat in there. I’ve done the “crisco process” as laid out above between almost each use. So like 10-12 times, but there’s a weird pattern on the skillet. Anyone know what happened?

One of my smaller Lodge skillets did the same thing, but doesn't seem to affect how it cooks. That almost looks like where some butter burned. I'd roll with it. These things take some time to really get right.

Reactions: dap9
Normal. Nothing to worry about.

Mine sometimes does that with pork chops. Not sure why with pork chops and not pan sausage.

Again, just keep cooking on it. Most of those perfect finishes that you see have not been really 'used' yet.

Reactions: dap9
Thanks guys. I won't worry about it. Next time it needs a reseasoning, I think I'll try sanding it smooth. Seems like that's the thing to do w/ the newer Lodge stuff. In the meantime, I think I'll ask for a 12" skillet for xmas. One of the "better" brands out there. I got the Lodge before I knew anything about CI Skillets.

Thanks again.

It's been a while since I've looked at Lodge stuff but Dayum,that surface is rough as a cob!:eek:
You might want to think about surfacing the inside of the pan before continuing to season.

Just do what Holly said. After every cook, wipe it down with some oil and you'll be good. I wouldn't worry about sanding. I toured their factory this past spring and asked them about the less than smooth finish they used to have. I was told it holds onto seasoning better. Could have been BS, but mine do fine.

Agreed. The vintage stuff is just as good and can be better than the new stuff. You can often find them cheap that just need a little work.

Super smooth pans are not always better cookers and can often be a real bear when it comes to seasoning. My rough Lodges cook just as well as my smooth Griswolds.

There was a 'rare' 10" Griswold on eBay last night that finished out at over $2700 so cruising garage sales may not be a bad idea!

Another key thing with old skillets is that you absolutely MUST invest $5 in one of those lead test kits. Cast iron is commonly used by bullet and fishing sinker casters to melt their lead. When we croak and our kids sell off our junk, those pieces re-enter the supply chain.

Just for a laugh, check out the texture of some of the cheap cast iron in stores these days. You could file your fingernails on it.

I've said this before in other threads, a while after I moved out of my parents' house my father decided he preferred non-stick and they threw out all of the old cast iron I grew up with, without telling me first. I've had to build my own collection, and because of that I have some pieces we never had when I was a kid, like a dutch oven, an oval casserole (aka "The Lifeboat") and a square skillet.

I think it's funny when I use cast iron in the smoker, then the next time I bring it up to temp in the oven it "blooms" smoke aroma and it smells exactly like I have a campfire going in the kitchen.

Was just at deer camp . Need a pan to cook some eggs , looked in the cabinet , four 10 " Griswold pans . One in real nice shape , the others were neglected . Never used one before , but would love to have one . Great pan .
There was one more in there that I couldn't read the name on . I'll have to look this coming weekend .

Thanks guys. I won't worry about it. Next time it needs a reseasoning, I think I'll try sanding it smooth. Seems like that's the thing to do w/ the newer Lodge stuff. In the meantime, I think I'll ask for a 12" skillet for xmas. One of the "better" brands out there. I got the Lodge before I knew anything about CI Skillets.

Thanks again.
Best way...bar none...to sand cast iron cookware is with a sandstone brick and a pair of leather gloves. The old fashioned way, but it works so well, I doubt it can be improved upon. Takes some time, but it will be smooth as a baby's bottom with a mirror finish when you are done. I have some heirloom cast iron that was polished in this way by my grandfather. Best pots I own.

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
I have maybe 20 CI pans and such.most are lodge but bought a cheap boxed set for camping and it may have had 10-12 in it ,all the lodge were pre preseasoned and I have 1 that has a slick finish inside and cant get a good finish built up in it,I suspect if it was rough it would hold the seasoning better,going to buy me a blue steel skillet in the 10-12" range, my latest is a blue enamel Kenmore 5.5q for $32 at a store they are shutting down in knoxville Tn.they will out last me

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky