Plancha, discada, skillet icooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Floriduh

Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
About a month ago I got to thinking that a large cast iron skillet might be nice. I ordered a Lodge 17” skillet, because I didn’t know they made a 20” version. I sanded it smooth, then carefully built up layers to make it non stick. It turned out beautifully. Then I set it atop a Bayou Classic Banjo burner and began using it.

39E21B36-EFC4-4D01-B3EF-429C36D87402.jpeg

Since then I have read about plancha, discada, and taco stands and such. Seems these are very popular in Europe. They think that plancha means- “to cook like a Spaniard”. Well it doesn’t but that isn’t slowing them down any. Here in the states we have seen a huge move towards flat top griddles, and with that, lots of recipes. No longer just for bacon and cakes and such.

I wanted a flat top and ordered mine from Walmart. The delivery was destroyed and dumped in my driveway. A week later Walmart has refused to offer a replacement or a refund. They refuse to pick it up and have no plans to do anything about it. ( I posted about all of this in another thread ). Here is what was delivered.

3A976CFB-D4DB-46FA-9CAF-B3050F36C444.jpeg

Don’t order anything from Walmart. The cheap stuff gets refunded easily, the more expensive not at all.

So a friend says he has a commercial griddle in storage and I could have it. Well he does have a commercial griddle in storage and he should move it to the dump.

So I am cooking just on my cast iron skillet for now. This section is about such things so here is where I am putting this.

My boss had some leftover prime rib and was shaving it using a meat slicer. He gave me a few pounds of this stuff. I fired up my skillet and added sliced onions and red pepper and skittered them around some without any oil. They did not stick at all. Anyways I added the meat when I thought the onions were done, and skittled that mix about some. Then toasted a roll and slid some on and poured Mexican dipping cheese sauce stuff on top and WOW.

766EEFF7-9786-4E29-97DE-F82FAD1983CF.jpeg

At this point I don’t really see need for a flat top griddle on my back porch. I can griddle up all we care to eat right now. Cleaning is a joke it is so easy. I rinse the skillet under the faucet and hit it with a nylon brush thingie, wipe dry,, add a thin layer of flax seed oil, turn it upside down to rest atop the burner and walk away.

My point here is that maybe trying a large skillet might be good to do before selecting a flat top griddle. Granted, there are advantages to a flat top, but to get started griddling your cost would be $70 for the skillet and whatever for a propane burner.

I also have discovered an entirely new way to cook since using this thing. Yes, if you can imagine that- a new technique. I have to do some more testing but will share with you guys once I am certain it is effective. I tested it using tin foil and was satisfied that it will work, but have to wait for a proper piece of gear to come in the mail before I demonstrate. I made scallops using the technique and the wife loved them.

I plan to make the other recipes I see scattered about on the net for griddle users. So look for me to be around here for a while. I would like to see what you make with your plancha.

Reactions: Ronyon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky