A Shad Roe First (Sous Vide to Ninja)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey, I'll take my share herring roe if no shad roe. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Warren

Thanks Ole Buddy!
Yup---I think I finally found a good way to cook those cans of "Herring Roe" I got awhile back, after talking to you about it. Gonna give it a try in the near future. I'll probably wait until the current run is over, in case Bear Jr brings me some more Fresh Shad Roe.

Bear

Sorry! Late to comment! Awesome thread and write up! Like a lot of your threads there is a bit of nostalgia for me, I grew up eating pan fried Sheaphead roe from a fresh lake my family goes to. I haven’t had it in a long time, not sure if I miss it enough to go after on purpose, but great memories! Looks delicious!
Thank You Jed!!
We don't have Sheepsheads around here, that I know of, but I did a search, and the Roe is sought after too.
To me they look like a Large mix between a Yellow Perch & a Bluegill
Probably has Great Roe!!

Bear

Reactions: bauchjw
Thank You Jed!!
We don't have Sheepsheads around here, that I know of, but I did a search, and the Roe is sought after too.
To me they look like a Large mix between a Yellow Perch & a Bluegill
Probably has Great Roe!!

Bear
I had no idea they were sought after.. other people at the lake treated them like river carp, but my pop loves them and gets excited to find roe when cleaning them. I never had a taste for fresh water fish, wish I did, but I grew up with it as a meal every summer and I never complained. It was tasty. As usual, I appreciate the memories Bear!

I had no idea they were sought after.. other people at the lake treated them like river carp, but my pop loves them and gets excited to find roe when cleaning them. I never had a taste for fresh water fish, wish I did, but I grew up with it as a meal every summer and I never complained. It was tasty. As usual, I appreciate the memories Bear!
We were the opposite---Mostly Fresh Water fishing:
Small Mouth Bass & Catfish in the DE River.
Trout in all the streams.
Bass & Pickerel in lakes & ponds.
Yellow Perch, Crappies, Gills, and Sunnies everywhere.
We had fresh freshwater fish to eat all year round, and Roe every Spring.
LOL---Along with Venison, Rabbit, Squirrel, Grouse, Pheasant, Ducks, Woodcock, Doves.
When I was in 5th & 6th Grade, my Dad used to get me out of school on Fridays, at Noon, so we could get any early start to the Poconos to catch our Friday Supper.

Bear

Reactions: bauchjw
This really looks great! I wish we had this locally (i need to check) so I could try it.

They do have Shad Roe in SC, but like anywhere else, it's expensive:
"Charleston Seafood" has Shad Roe, when in season for $83 for 4 sets.
So that's $40 for what I'm showing in my first or second Pics, on this thread.
Unless you can catch them yourself around Feb or March.

Bear

Reactions: Ringer
Bear, Looks tasty, I've had my share of fried yellow perch roe but never shad.
I've had a few Yellow Perch Roe, and they were Great, just like all the other Pan-fish, but you need a lot of them for a meal. You can get a whole meal from a Shad Roe or Sucker Roe, and if you get Roe from a Shad, near the end of the Spawning Run, you can feed a whole family with the Roe from one Shad!! They get huge!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky