Well I did it. The Ooni Koda 12 is on it's way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Since the move, we haven't been able to find any decent pizza places. Keep reading about the Ooni Pizza Oven and decided it's time for a new adventure into pizza making. Seems as though this unit can do the job. Got to get busy learning the finer points on how to make dough.

I've been looking at them myself . Not sure which one I like . Propane would be the easiest I'm thinking .

Several dough formulas floating around here . Resting in the fridge is key in my opinion . 24 to 48 hours seems to be the sweet spot . I've gone all the way to 7 days .
If you already make your own , mix up a batch and hold in the fridge . You'll see the difference . When your ready to use it , get it out and let in warm up on the counter at least 4 hours ahead . I usually get it out 6 or 7 hours before .

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
Got to get busy learning the finer points on how to make dough

Congrats on the new Ooni!! I've heard some great things about those things. We like pizza but don't eat it often enough to justify buying one...plus I already have enough cookers and am out of space. A while back I battled making dough from scratch and tried several different ways and it always fell short. Then I saw kits from a place I've been buying bread kits for a long time and decided to give it a try. This was a game changer. This stuff is fantastic and has always turned out an excellent result.

They have several different variations to choose from but this is the one I've decided to stick with. I add some Italian herbs to the mix and a couple tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese, mix it up and let it go. The first many times I made it was in the bread machine on the dough cycle. Yesterday I mixed it with the Ninja food processor with the dough attachment and that was even better. Best pizza I've ever made and Tracy was all over it...but I was too. A couple pics for you but I'm gonna be posting this one shortly.

The dough after proofing and just before rolling out
008_Fotogenic.jpg

Finished pizza
018_Fotogenic.jpg

I highly recommend this company. Been buying from them for several years and everything I've gotten has been top notch. No regrets on anything I've gotten. If you hit a dollar mark somewhere around $50 you get free shipping also. You can find out the exact amount on their site.

Robert

I have an Ooni Koda 12 as well and really love it. Definitely check out the two 'Ooni' and 'Uuni' reddit pages for tons of help on getting your dough figured out, it helped me immensely.

I've been tossing around getting one for a few months now, just don't know if a pizza once a month it worth it. I've tried tons of dough recipes over the years, finally pretty much settled on this one from FN, super easy, I make one large pie from it. Next one I'm going to let sit in the fridge for a couple of days as chopsaw chopsaw suggests, see what the difference is.

Prime-Time Pizza Dough Recipe | Guy Fieri | Food Network

DSCN1736.JPG

Congrats! Remember. This takes a bit of practice. You should invest in a infrared thermometer. They are very handy in checking the stone temp.

Congrats on the new Ooni!! I've heard some great things about those things. We like pizza but don't eat it often enough to justify buying one...plus I already have enough cookers and am out of space. A while back I battled making dough from scratch and tried several different ways and it always fell short. Then I saw kits from a place I've been buying bread kits for a long time and decided to give it a try. This was a game changer. This stuff is fantastic and has always turned out an excellent result.

Wow, thanks for the info Robert. Will definitely give them a try.

Last edited:
I use sourdough crust and it take heat very well and has a nice chew to it - much better than a dry yeast dough.

Reactions: forktender
Congrats! Remember. This takes a bit of practice. You should invest in a infrared thermometer. They are very handy in checking the stone temp.
I was going to throw out there that you have one of these Steve. I bought an Inkbird infrared thermometers to use on my griddle. Pretty cool.

Reactions: Steve H
The Koda 12 has arrived! With tx smoker tx smoker (Robert's) advice, I've picked up some pizza dough mixes from preparedpantry.com. Now heading to the store for sorted toppings. Sunday will be the big test. BTW: yes jcam222 jcam222 I have a high temp infrared thermometer from Thermoworks.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
I'm on the fence , but watching . Please post some results when you get to using it .

First time but it all worked out pretty good. Did make a mess in the kitchen. Pizza turned out very good. Plenty to learn from though. Thinking I need to lower the temp a bit to allow a more thorough baking of the crust, that along with backing off the amount of ingredients. Also have to rotate it a bit quicker to even out the bake. Bottom pie is a cheese & spinach without sauce (wife wanted it that way). Top pie is a classic light san marzano based sauce with calabresa, diced pepperoni, onions and cheese. Dough from preparedpantry.com. Split the large ball into two to make thin crust pies.

IMG_4449.jpg

Reactions: Steve H and chopsaw
Not bad at all. Yeah, you really have to be quick with rotating them. I used to turn mine down just before putting the pizza in. Now that I know how to use it better. I just leave it cranked up.
How hot was the stone when you put in the pizza?

One interesting thing, I was expecting the see a solid set of blue flames all across the burner but the far right side had some pretty tall yellow flames.
IMG_4448.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky