Weber Smokey Mountain Fire Troubles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

John-Peascheck

Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Hi so I recently purhcased a Weber Smokey mountain 18 inch smoker. So I have not been able to maintain a consistent fire. It's either I take the lid off and the fire roars to the point of turning the smoker into a grill, or I put the lid on top and the fire immediately dies. Even with all of the bottom vents wide open the fire is still somehow getting smothered the second the lid is put back on. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

How about the top vent is that open all the way also?

More info is really needed to help you out. Like how are you starting it? Water or dry pan?

I have a 22" WSM and always start with a full charcoal ring of unlit briquettes. I'll then take out a few from the center of the ring and replace them with 6 - 10 fully lit briquettes. All vents are wide open at this stage. When my temps are about 30ish* from my target then I'll slowly start shutting down the bottom vents. On calm days I'll shut each down about a quarter. On windy days I shut the vent facing the wind down completely leave the other two open. Let it settle in for about 15 min to a half hour and see if you need to make any more adjustments. Once the WSM is settled in then you can put your meat on. The wood of choice should be buried in the charcoal. I like to put it in a direct line with the vent. Staggering the distance from the center or the ring. So you get smoke throughout the cook. Hope this helps and isn't to confusing. If you have any questions or need clarity just ask away.

Chris

Reactions: Zen

More info is really needed to help you out. Like how are you starting it? Water or dry pan?

I have a 22" WSM and always start with a full charcoal ring of unlit briquettes. I'll then take out a few from the center of the ring and replace them with 6 - 10 fully lit briquettes. All vents are wide open at this stage. When my temps are about 30ish* from my target then I'll slowly start shutting down the bottom vents. On calm days I'll shut each down about a quarter. On windy days I shut the vent facing the wind down completely leave the other two open. Let it settle in for about 15 min to a half hour and see if you need to make any more adjustments. Once the WSM is settled in then you can put your meat on. The wood of choice should be buried in the charcoal. I like to put it in a direct line with the vent. Staggering the distance from the center or the ring. So you get smoke throughout the cook. Hope this helps and isn't to confusing. If you have any questions or need clarity just ask away.

Chris
So I start with a lit bed of charcoal and when it turns grey add a few wood chunks to it and at this stage every vent on the smoker is open. But somehow the fire is still getting smothered the second I put the lid on, or close the firebox door. It’s as if somehow the vents themselves aren’t enough to keep the fire healthy somehow.

Look up the minion method.

Here's one post. I'm sure there are many others that may have greater detail.

Chris

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
if the coals are lit you're all set
you don't want fire
keep the lid on with the top vent fully open
keep the door shut
monitor temps digitally
the wsm's burn hot at first - use the water pan

The way I'm reading the OP's posts is ALL the briquettes are lit, wood chunks are thrown on top, and the FIRE goes out (smolders actually) when the lid is put on the smoker. Then flames up when the lid is removed. Yep. It is behaving exactly as it should when loaded like that.

First, I've never heard of ANYONE starting a WSM like described above.

Second, there's a major misunderstanding about the fire triangle (heat-fuel-air) and how it applies to a smoker.

Third, I'm not getting any indication of a MAJOR aspect of a pitmaster's essential nature: patience.

Solution for a long smoke, no water in the water pan, aka dry smoke:
1. Clean the old charcoal and ash out of the smoker.
2. Set the bottom vents open about 1/8th inch; the top vent full open.
3. Toss 4 wood chunks onto the charcoal grate.
4. Fill the charcoal ring with briquettes to completely cover the chunks. Make a dimple in the center of the cold pile.
5. Add 6-8 fully ashed over hot briquettes to the dimple.
6. Assembly the smoker, no water in the water pan, lid on (top vent full open), door closed, and walk away for 90-mins to 2 hours. You should have thin blue smoke or clean smoke at this time. The chamber temp could be anywhere from 190°F to 275°F. If 190°F, open the lower vents about 1/8" more. If 225‐275°F, leave everything alone.
7. Remove lid, load meat, put lid back on, and walk away for 2-3 hours. Ignore the initial temp drop as cold meat absorbs chamber heat like a sponge absorbs water.
8. At 2-3 hours after loading the meat, the meat will have warmed enough to bring the chamber temp back to its true temp. If over 225°F for safety reasons, leave it alone. If under 225°F, make a SMALL open adjustment to one lower vent.
9. Let the smoker work. The buried chunks will give you the desired wood smoke elements for the entire smoke because they carbonize instead of flame.

Patience, grasshopper. Patience.

No Boundaries and the others have you well covered. I'll just add a couple pictures of how I start my 18" WSM.

Start with all vents open, catch the heat on the way up and start shutting down the bottom drafts.

Fill coal ring with can in the middle. I use a small size Weber chimney to light a small amount of briquettes. Dump the lit coals into the can and immediately pull the can out with a pair of Channel-Lock pliers. There are more smoke wood chunks dispersed through the briquettes, and I usually add at least one on top of the lit coals before assembling the smoker.
DSC01507.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

Folks, I know the LOUSY WSM instructions and lots of YouTube videos say to put the wood chunks on top. Try burying them just once. You'll save money (can use fewer chunks), can use splits, and will have wood flavor close to a wood burner results. What's one smoke between friends? Give it a try.
Thank you for all of the help. I’m going to use your step by step on my next cook on Monday. Thank you

Reactions: noboundaries
Bury the chucks for sure! Minion method will help keep the start up slower.

If using a weber chimney, just use a few briquets, not a full load. the temp will spike initially but you should be able get it to moderate. I missed if you were using the water bowl. If you are having trouble moderating - use it. after you master the WSM more, its not really needed as much.

Top vent always wide open, bottom vents to control the O2 intake and the burn rate.

More info is really needed to help you out. Like how a you starting it? Water or dry pan?

Chris. When I apply the hot coals to the bed of unlit coals. Should they be fully ashed over? Should there be any flames left on them at all? Or should they just be hot? Thank you

Let me blaspheme a little further; I add my meat to the smoker immediately after assembling the smoker. Seems a waste of charcoal to let her burn for half hour to an hour. I've never had a negative complaint about results and haven't noticed a negative to this method yet. If you read my earlier post; I do mention that I spread smoking chunks throughout my briquettes.

Never read the WSM manual nor watched a you tube video about the WSM.

Then again I've only been using the smoker 15 years. Maybe one day I'll learn how to do it right.

Last edited:
Chris. When I apply the hot coals to the bed of unlit coals. Should they be fully ashed over? Should there be any flames left on them at all? Or should they just be hot? Thank you

3/4ers to fully ashed over. Their purpose is to start the slow burn of the unlit coals.

Chris

Let me blaspheme a little further; I add my meat to the smoker immediately after assembling the smoker. Seems a waste of charcoal to let her burn for half hour to an hour. I've never had a negative complaint about results and haven't noticed a negative to this method yet. If you read my earlier post; I do mention that I spread smoking chunks throughout my briquettes.

Never read the WSM manual nor watched a you tube video about the WSM.

Then again I've only been using the smoker 15 years. Maybe one day I'll learn how to do it right.
Jack, nobody said that this was the absolute way of doing it. There are many ways to skin a cat, and what works for one may not work for another. I like doing it this way for a couple of reasons. It gives me time to prep my meat while the WSM heats up. It also allows me to dial in my desired temp. I find it's much easier to raise the temp on the WSM then it is to lower it. It's all good.

Chris

Reactions: one eyed jack
Jack, nobody said that this was the absolute way of doing it. There are many ways to skin a cat, and what works for one may not work for another. I like doing it this way for a couple of reasons. It gives me time to prep my meat while the WSM heats up. It also allows me to dial in my desired temp. I find it's much easier to raise the temp on the WSM then it is to lower it. It's all good.

Chris
Thanks for your response Chris. I'm not immune to overreacting.

I agree with you that it is easier to catch the temps on the way up.

Reactions: gmc2003
if the coals are lit you're all set
you don't want fire
keep the lid on with the top vent fully open
keep the door shut
monitor temps digitally
the wsm's burn hot at first - use the water pan
What do you mean by “when the coals are lit” but also “you don’t want fire” I apologize for my ignorance I just genuinely want as much information as possible going into my next cook. Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky