Vaccum sealing seasonings???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
So once again i have ran out of my favorite bbq seasoning, Everglades cactus dust. Buying off Amazon is over double the cost from their website but on their website there's shipping cost. But you can buy either the shaker( 3oz) for like 3 bucks or a 5lb bucket for 26 bucks so my question is can i vaccum seal seasoning to keep them fresh?

I use this seasoning every week, whether its grilling, tacos, bbq even something simple like nachos... I'd like to buy the bucket, vacuum seal it and then when i need it, just take out a pouch and open it

Reactions: Wurstmeister
You could vacuum seal it in smaller usable pouches and have zero issues.. also could be sealed in some mason jars etc. It might be messy if it's a fine powder to get it to vacuum seal.

Reactions: PPG1
I got some from another member in a trade . Used it on a pork butt , and some smoked almonds . Good stuff .
Buy the bucket , divide it out and vac it up .

So once again i have ran out of my favorite bbq seasoning, Everglades cactus dust. Buying off Amazon is over double the cost from their website but on their website there's shipping cost. But you can buy either the shaker( 3oz) for like 3 bucks or a 5lb bucket for 26 bucks so my question is can i vaccum seal seasoning to keep them fresh?

I use this seasoning every week, whether its grilling, tacos, bbq even something simple like nachos... I'd like to buy the bucket, vacuum seal it and then when i need it, just take out a pouch and open it

Yeah you'd have no issues vac sealing. Just store out of the light and out of the heat and you will be fine. Most seasonings can handle some heat anyhow so in any case you will be fine.

Now, I think this might be a good case to get a vacuum container set from Large to small. If you had such a kit you could fill the large container with the spice and vacuum out all the air and keep the smaller containers ready to go and even vacuum those if not used for a while. I've never done it but I bought a set as a gift for a cousin for all his cereal and dry prep food stuff and no complaints from him :)

When I vacuum seal my snack stick seasoning it clumps together hard. You have to break it up to get it loose again. just FYI so you're not surprised

I vac seal in small mason jars. Works great. And it is reusable. I just attach the label from the spice.
IMG_0512.jpg

I keep bulk Rubs in a small Tupperware container in the freezer. Take out to use as needed, then refreeze.

Brown sugar is bad about clumping no matter what I do, I use brownulated and never have problems with it,

Brown sugar is bad about clumping no matter what I do, I use brownulated and never have problems with it,

Sugar in BBQ seasonings and rubs does not seem to be a natively Texan thing so I was thinking the same thing and you confirmed it for me. It seems us Texans get our sugar from our bbq sauce when we put it on at the end of the cook or at the table.

Another sweetener tip, I've brined and done a number of things with Erythritol (sugar substitute that is naturally occurring, 0 calorie, 0 net carb, NO insulin response, and tastes just like sugar). It never clumps in a sticky fashion or anything like that but it will recrystalize if you try to use it in candy applications. It also has no "soft" or "hard" crack point for candy making.

Would be cool to see if it burns like sugar does when people cook with it because I haven't burned it but I treat it like sugar in dishes like spaghetti sauce, chili, etc. where you just need a small amount not a featured amount.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky