Using a meat probe for inside smoker temp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bambam204, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Hey guys. Might be a dumb question, but I just ordered my AMNPS and I would like to try cold smoking cheese for the first time. However I do not have a dual probe thermometer yet. I just have a meat thermometer . So my question is can I use the meat thermometer to see the inside smoker temp?

2. gearjammer

gearjammer Master of the Pit

I don't know exactly what you've got.

However I have a couple different ones and either probe

can be used for whatever you want.

The smoker or the meat doesn't matter, bet yours will too.

Keep on smokin'                                Ed

3. Thanks for the reply Ed. This is what I have it only has one probe for meat. If I can use this how and where should I put this in my smoker I have an MES 30 gen 2

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Yes you can use the meat probe therm. It will react a bit slower than a probe designed to measure cabinet temp. Since you are cold smoking, place the therm next to the highest rack of cheese. You can drill an appropriate size whole in a small block of wood and stick the probe all the way through or poke through a small potato...JJ

5. Thanks for the reply JJ. I will give this a try if I don't get a dual probe by the time I smoke.

-Bam

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Depending on what smoker you have you can also just let it hang down through the top vent.

Al