*Updated finish pics* Beef Chuck Short ribs finally

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
After seeing so many delicious posts with beef ribs the last couple of months I finally quit procrastinating and picked up some wholesale at the local butcher. Overall they were pretty trimmed already with a very thin fat cap. I will say I tried to peel the membrane and thought I did great on all 4 racks (put 2 in the freezer for another time). Big sheets pulled off but there was still membrane / not all the way peeled to bone. After fighting with it too long I gave up. Worst case I think I can peel them prior to serving if they are tough. May lose some rub there but there isn't any meat on that side anyway I guess.

cryopack.jpg

Here is my bounty in the cryopacks. Going to cook the ones on the right and put the other pack in the freezer for another time. Picked these up for $3.99 / lbs.

raw.jpg

They look reasonably meaty. Really trimmed hardly any fat off the top. The membrane had me using a few choice words lol.

raw rubbed.jpg

Going pretty basic on these. I layered a bit of flavor, hit it first with a light sprinkling of Accent (have not tried this before), Next was 2/2/1/1 SPOG using coarse salt, coarse pepper, granulated onion and garlic. Hit it with a little extra black pepper and then lastly a very light dusting of nice earthy dark chili powder. I will hit these with rub again and hit those bare spots prior to cooking tomorrow.

bacon in pan.jpg

Going to have green beans as a side. Here is the last of my buckboard bacon ends. Going to have to get on that next as I am now out of all bacon and scraps :)

bacon and onion.jpg

Adding in some onion and sauteing a bit to soften them.

beans n pan2.jpg

Mixed into two giant cans of green beans, a few cups of chicken broth and a hit of SPOG. These will smoke under two of the racks tomorrow. I will have a full hotel pan like this under the other two filled with beef broth and spices.

Well that is it for now. I will get these on tomorrow. Going to smoke these in my 270 cabinet using B&B Texas Style Hickory lump charcoal and for wood a mix of oak and cherry. I will update pics after the finish barring a cooking disaster LOL. *Updated finish pics below in thread*

Last edited:
Well buddy I will do you a favor to keep you from cussing,send the other rack to me I will massage and give it a warm place in my house. Watching
Richie

Reactions: jcam222
Well cooking is over and nibbled enough I need a break before I eat a plate. Here is the finish on the ribs and sides. I smoked the ribs for the first few hours at 275Fish and then coasted on up to about 300F until they finished. Start to finish pulling at around 203F was about 6 hours. Used B&B hickory lump and a mix of cherry and oak.

whole done.jpg

Nice bark on them, this is two of the four I did ready to wrap in peach paper and throw in the cooler for a half hour or so. I didn't wrap at all on this cook. I spritzed with a mix of 1 cup white vinegar and 1/4 cup Texas Pete hot sauce after the first 3 hours about every 45 minutes or so.

on the board.jpg

Here are the first couple cut up on the board. Very tender, cut like a knife through hot butter. I broke out my Miyabi knife to cut these babies up.

in a pan.jpg

Finished cutting all four, definitely had a nibble or two :)

beans done.jpg

Green beans finished up. Really tasty this time with my buckboard bacon in them. This huge bowl won't last long as they also got the wife's seal of approval and she is part rabbit lol. These smoked the entire time with the beef ribs dripping deliciousness in them.
cole slaw.jpg

Had to throw in a shot of my wifes keto no sugar added cole slaw. We eat a huge container of this almost every week. If anyone is doing keto, low carb or just low sugar this is delicious. Recipe below. We usually either skip or significantly reduce the lemon. We often use erythritol or monk fruit as the sweetener instead of splenda as well.

cole slaw recipe.jpg

rib plated 1.jpg

Plate ready for my wife. She will of course MAYBE eat a third of that rib lol but I had to plate it for a pic.

Well I can honestly say after seeing so many posts of ribs I am super happy to have finally done them. These may be the best thing I have put out of my smoker in a long time, perhaps ever. They are just decandent, rich and meaty goodness. These are likely to become my go to for special gatherings of family and friends. At $3.99 a lbs. I would actually do these over brisket every time.

By the way, the label on the cryopacks said chuck short ribs. Are these in fact the plate ribs? They were pretty big and in sections of three.

Thanks for stopping by and looking :) Wish I could give you all a plate.

Wow those look really good. You did Marvelous - simple Marvelous Jcam.

Double points on this one, for sure.

Chris

Well buddy I will do you a favor to keep you from cussing,send the other rack to me I will massage and give it a warm place in my house. Watching
Richie

Looks awesome from where I sit!

Wow those look really good. You did Marvelous - simple Marvelous Jcam.

Double points on this one, for sure.

Chris

Simply fantastic, welcome to the Short Ribs Club.
Those are great looking ribs, well rendered and a beautiful bark.
And those Green Beans, man... Get in muh belly!
Like!

those look great! as do the sides and all.

that a fantastic looking meal. well done!

Man those look good! I wish I could find some around here like that! All these beef rib posts are killing me! You nailed it!

Looks absolutely frickin’ delicious!

Like!
Thanks all! These for sure are my new favorite thing to smoke. Hope the butcher doesn’t catch on and raise the price lol. I feel pretty fortunate to be able to get these ongoing at $3.99 a lbs.

Great job !! Yes, those are chuck short rib plates.. All the ones I've smoked have 4 bones per plate.. But 3 works too ! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
beefribs3.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky