Unlimbered the ol' Black Pots. . .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No, But I do enjoy cooking in cast iron while camping or even out in the yard on the weekends...The 16' custom is in progress, I will be starting a thread very soon to show my progress..Stay tuned...DB

Nice display cuz
icon_smile.gif
I guess i'll have to put my collection on but im afraid were gonna tilt Jeff's server
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

DB, great looking food there, and some good looking iron. Will try and get a pic of mine on in near future. Hope there's no weight limit on the forum.

Man I love cornbread in a cast iron pan rubbed down with bacon fat. Yummmy! Want to share some of those recipes there Dutch ole buddy?

When I was a kid and Mama was getting a bit older she tried one of those teflon coated aluminum pans cause there are light weight and she only used it once. Just doesn't taste right. Wish I could've gotten some of her pots and pans after she passed. Dad had a darned yard sale at the erging of his new wife and didn't even tell us! Complete set of cast iron from 1 quart to sauce pans to huge soap pots big enough to bathe in, skillets, dutch ovens you name it - I didn't get a one!

Yeah Debi, pork fat rules! My Grandma used to keep an iron skillet with bacon grease in it on the stove 24/7. She always turned out awesome meals in that skillet, and we never got sick from it! One of my favorites was her dandelion greens and bacon... DROOOL!!

Oh if I only knew then what I know now......

I let so much cast iron slip away that I could cry. But at the time it was everywhere, and it it would always be there, I took so much for granted, it was just the cast iron pots and pans, no big deal, right?

That is OK, I am older now and maybe just a little wiser. I left home with a couple of skillets and thought that I would just pick up the dutch ovens the next time I went camping. 25 years later the homestead along with the cast iron is gone, the few times that I made it back home I just never thought to pick anything up. All gone to auction or landfill.

You can buy just about any cast iron peice that you want, but some has become very collectable and alot of the imported stuff is kind of, lets say, rough around the edges. Resale shops are the best bet along with yardsales, but they are hit and miss. Sorry to say that while I like Lodge stuff, they are a little steep on the price for new stuff. Antique shops are awful proud of their stuff too, even the stuff that is not so antique. I will stick with looking around at flea markets and yardsales for the smaller stuff but I would consider a well made imported 10 gal bean pot. (Like I have a real use for one)

I don't really know what my count is with stuff scattered around. I got a couple of skillets that I use regular atop the stove and in the oven, A couple of DOs that have seen very little use in the past years, a griddle (I think) somewhere but I cant remember ever using the griddle because the skillet will do the same thing, and maybe an odd ball bisquit/muffin pan. Sounds like it is time for a round up and inventory!

Yummmy Hawg! I like a bit of finely diced onion in there with my fried dandelions too! You know now that you mentioned it... Mama had a tin can full of bacon grease that never went bad either and it just sat on the stove all the time. I wonder if it's because the pilot flame kept it warm?

Ok it's mine turn, let's see now how many do I have..(holds head up proudly) 1 that's right one. Just got it at a thrift store, was in pretty bad shape, sanded it all down seasoned it about 4 times and just cooked in it today. I LOVE IT. There will be many more coming. I just can't wait to see the looks on my nieghbors faces when I built me a camp fire on the little patio I have here and hang a D.O. over it. Right now I only have a 12" skillet but like I said "It's a start".

Ok, since it it quite clear that Dutch is the last word on D.O., I say we title him The Duke of D.O. Well that's my take on it...

ZAPPER;65992 said:
Oh if I only knew then what I know now......

I let so much cast iron slip away that I could cry. But at the time it was everywhere, and it it would always be there, I took so much for granted, it was just the cast iron pots and pans, no big deal, right?

I know exactly how you feel, done the same thing myself.
icon_cry.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky