UMAI Process

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fished

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Cedar Park, Texas. 78613
There has been a lot of posts about these things. Can someone post up the process and what equipment is needed to use them? The grinder and stuffer I have. What else is involved and needed to make some of this great stuff?

Thanks very much and keep up with the good stuff.
Ed

F, You need a starter culture(about $20) and cure #2($ 6-10). You can buy a Umai spice blend ($6)or use your own recipe for what you plan on doing. As Dave said go to the Umai site and they will set you up. They have packets that include culture,cure and dextrose and you add the other spices. I tried their spice blend packs and was happy with the flavor. It is fun and fairly inexpensive, best to buy the casings when they go on sale. Have fun ! They give you tie wraps to seal the casings so you don't need a sealer.

Last edited:
Yup. You can go with ANY mix recipe you want and just stuff in the UMAI casings as you would any other sausage. You don't have to use UMAI recipes or mixes. But just make sure it is a "Dry Cure" recipe.

You dont need fancy equip for temp/RH. Just some sort of stuffer either a crank or shooter style. Som patience for fermentation and dry time in your household fridge. The Len Poli recipes work great as well as the UMAi recipes. You will need cure #2 and Bactoferm agents.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Tallbm, I read all of your posts and a couple of others yesterday. Going to have to watch some videos and get the casing and other stuff and try it.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Tallbm, I read all of your posts and a couple of others yesterday. Going to have to watch some videos and get the casing and other stuff and try it.

Thanks

Outside of the UMAI bags/casings I just needed to buy Cure #2, Bactoferm T-SPX, Dextrose, and any seasonings needed.
I already own a grinder, stuffer, and slicer.
Oh got my hands on a better scale as well.

I think that lists about everything you need besides details on the spices and details on what size sausage/salumi bags you need. When I bought the UMAI stuff they were having a sale so I just bought the charcuterie and all 3 sizes of sausage/salumi options :)

Best of luck with it all!

Using the UMAi is not that hard.
If i can do this from start to finish in a 40' 5th wheel........Anyone can do it anywhere.

You dont need fancy equip for temp/RH. Just some sort of stuffer either a crank or shooter style. Som patience for fermentation and dry time in your household fridge. The Len Poli recipes work great as well as the UMAi recipes. You will need cure #2 and Bactoferm agents.
I spent about two hours reading from the Len Poli site last night, I had never heard of him until recently. Wealth of information. Thanks Nepas!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky