UK Pickled Pub Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Easy recipe.

8 Eggs
500ml Malt vinegar
15g Pickling spice
3 tablespoons Brown sugar

Mix all the above in a pan, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 mins. Cover and let it cool before pouring over eggs that have been HB.

Boiling fresh eggs.
IMG_3821.JPG

Pickle mix, now let cool.
IMG_3823.jpg

Time to sanitize my jar.
BBL

With all the eggs your girls are putting out they are keeping you busy finding ways to use them!

Jim

I'll have to try this when I finish the mustard eggs. Have never done eggs with picking spice and I just found a large container of it in the cupboard BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker Question for you, the farm I bought my eggs from has always had very nice large eggs. I've noticed the last 6 dozen or so have been much smaller eggs. Does that happen as the chickens age?

I'll have to try this when I finish the mustard eggs. Have never done eggs with picking spice and I just found a large container of it in the cupboard BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker Question for you, the farm I bought my eggs from has always had very nice large eggs. I've noticed the last 6 dozen or so have been much smaller eggs. Does that happen as the chickens age?
Yes the older the chicken the smaller the eggs can be. A chickens lay span is from 2-3 years old then they lay less, and it hot out. Mine have slacked since being so hot.

UK Pickled pub eggs.
IMG_3829.JPG

Reactions: jcam222
They look good , do you have problems peeling the shell off yours. We have a heck of a time trying to shell ours. I think we tried every trick we've seen online. I doubt breeds have anything to do with that or does it?

They look good , do you have problems peeling the shell off yours. We have a heck of a time trying to shell ours. I think we tried every trick we've seen online. I doubt breeds have anything to do with that or does it?
Fresh eggs are hard to peel. Save eggs for a cpuple weeks if you want to be able to peel them easy.

Reactions: smokerjim
Interesting take on pickled eggs. Have to give this a shot. As to easy peeling, I've tried more than a few of the solutions the internet has to offer and I have found the instant pot 5-5-5 method to be the best, fresh eggs or not.

Never heard of these. And I love malt vinegar! Thanks for posting. How sweet are these with the amount of brown sugar used?

Fresh eggs are hard to peel. Save eggs for a cpuple weeks if you want to be able to peel them easy.
Not 100% accurate

These eggs have been washed and in the fridge for 3 weeks. These peeled just fine.

Never heard of these. And I love malt vinegar! Thanks for posting. How sweet are these with the amount of brown sugar used?
Couple weeks yet then I will they em

The green and blue eggs have a harder shell and were tricky to peel. From the boiling water right into the ice.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm no eggspert but, for me, the thing I have learned for making easy peel hard boiled eggs - every time - is to lower the eggs, one at a time (on a spoon) into a large pot of almost boiling lightly salted water (right before it starts boiling), let the water come to a boil and cook them for 8-minutes (this could change depending on altitude). You will know when you got it just right when a small stream of bubbles comes out of the eggs after you lower them in. If the shells get very lightly cracked they're OK but if the water is too hot you can get large cracks - but the eggs are still easy to peel.

My theory is the hot water shocks that membrane between the shell and egg and I get perfect, easy peel, hard boiled eggs - every time.

I went crazy trying to get eggs to peel - this works for me! Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Last edited:
The green and blue eggs have a harder shell and were tricky to peel. From the boiling water right into

Interesting take on pickled eggs. Have to give this a shot. As to easy peeling, I've tried more than a few of the solutions the internet has to offer and I have found the instant pot 5-5-5 method to be the best, fresh eggs or not.
What is the 5 5 5 method, never heard of it.

I'm no eggspert but, for me, the thing I have learned for making easy peel hard boiled eggs - every time - is to lower the eggs, one at a time (on a spoon) into a large pot of almost boiling lightly salted water (right before it starts boiling), let the water come to a boil and cook them for 8-minutes (this could change depending on altitude). You will know when you got it just right when a small stream of bubbles comes out of the eggs after you lower them in. If the shells get very lightly cracked they're OK but if the water is too hot you can get large cracks - but the eggs are still easy to peel.

My theory is the hot water shocks that membrane between the shell and egg and I get perfect, easy peel, hard boiled eggs - every time.

I went crazy trying to get eggs to peel - this works for me! Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.
Will definitely give it a shot,

Reactions: Retired Spook
Will definitely give it a shot,
Just before the boil lower those eggs in - if you see a stream of small bubbles coming off the eggs you got it perfect!

Store eggs, farm eggs, brown eggs, white eggs or green eggs (from Ameraucana chickens - my personal favorite eggs) - works on every egg I have tried.

What is the 5 5 5 method, never heard of it.
I cut and pasted this... easier than typing. I'm lazy today.

First you add water to the bottom of the pot, then place a trivet on top, onto which you will place your eggs. Seal the pot, and set it to high pressure, cooking the eggs for five minutes. Then let the Instant Pot release any leftover pressure naturally for five minutes. The last step is crucial, whether you’re boiling eggs in an Instant Pot or not: Let the eggs cool in an ice bath for five minutes (the ice bath stops the cooking process).

Smokerjim, i researched this a while back because I always found this with our eggs. It turns out that the albumen in a fresh egg sticks to shell when you cook it. After a week or so with the egg shell absorbing air (I think) the chemistry of the egg white changes and it doesn’t stick anymore. In the U.K. the average store bought egg is approx 3 weeks old, hence I’d never experienced the white sticking until I got my own hens.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky