two racks of beef ribs ready for Sat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skeeter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 19, 2007
Avon MN.
Got two great racks of beef ribs from my butcher today. Just finished rubbing them and will fire up the smoker in the morning. After I get the ribs on, I'll have to load the 12 ga. to keep the neighbors out of the yard, they will all be sniffin and droolin by noon. I'm going to try a spray of JD & apple juice with a little EVOO. Last 1/2 hour a light glaze of my wife's favorite sauce, Sweet Baby Rays Honey Bar-B-Que Sauce. Will serve with cole slaw, potato salad (made by my butcher, it's to die for) and corn bread. wash it all down with Lienies Summer Shandy beer and sit on the from lawn and watch the fire works from the local city festival. My idea of a perfect day. I hope everyone who fires up the smoker tomorrow will have a killer day, we all deserve it.

aww sweet baby ray.... if ya can find it or ever in austin,tx. try stubb's rest. or sauce. even w/ sweet baby ray's add 1/4 tsp tony cacherie(white label) & 1/2 cup medium marzen beer ( fat tire or honey brown).p.s. what did ya pay fer the rack of beef ??? i got a short rack fer $6.47per rack was3.5 lb

I paid $1.45 a lb for the ribs custom cut, local raised. I hope to remember to take pics so I don't get chewed out this time
icon_smile.gif

Ribs went on at 10:34 A.M. it is now 1:04 P.M. and they are at 170 deg. cooking at 225 - 250 deg. Sprayed twice already with apple juice, looks like we will be eating before 6:00 P.M. unless I take them off and wrap them in foil.

Sounds tasty, looking forward to seeing them.

Here are pictures Ribs came off at 3:30 at 190 degs. Next time I will remove the membrane on the under side, it caused the ribs to be tuff. BUT the flavor was fantastic. Next a brisket.
be214612_vbattach12950.jpg

on a recent trip to Oregon, (my hometown) I offered to do some ribs for a friend's birthday party, offset smokers are rare in Oregon and I was forced to use a standard two burner natural gas grill which required me to put all the meat on one side and place a pan of chips and can of water over the other burner turned down low to maintain the 225 I was looking for. (Amazingly that setup worked fairly well!) But to my surprise when they brought me the ribs, they were beef, not the pork BBs I was expecting. Still I treated them just like I would have if they had been pork, using my standard rub and mop, doing the 3-2-1 method. They were fantastic! I had also boiled a home cured corned beef and smoked it for the last hour along with the ribs. Both the ribs and "pastrami" disappeared in the first 15 minutes of the party, so I know they were appreciated. Does anyone else use the 3-2-1 method for beef ribs? It seemed to work well, albeit there was a bit of shrinkage I hadn't counted on.
Jimbo

I have not tried 3-2-1 on beef ribs, but to tell you the truth, we just don't seem to get good racks of beef ribs here. You would think we would with all the cattle in this state.
confused.gif
We do however, get alot of single beef boned ribs, usually in packs of three. Quite meaty too. I have been doing like nine of them in a deep aluminum pan, marinated in Mojo the night before, then placed on my ECB and smoked for around 3 hours. They really come out nice and are the best way I have found to do beef ribs so far. Never in the crock pot again.
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

Mojo Criollo. It is a Latin marinade. Very good. Iberia makes one brand of it. I have seen some at Wal-Marts and Publix stores. There are other makers of Mojo but Iberia makes a thicker blend that really sticks to the meat well.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Cubans eat Mojo on everything. It's kind of their "ketchup" if you will. Here's a simple recipe I got off of Food Network

Mojo:
10 cloves garlic, cracked from skin
1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky