Two 9 lbs. bone-in Boston Butts still stalled at 17 hours

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Just an FYI post:

Using my MES40 at 225F for the whole smoke up until now, they went from 158F at 9 hours to 172F at 17 hours...so I wrapped them (they looked and smelled awesome!) and kicked the smoker up to 250F because they needed to be done in 3 hours or so.

The low temp last night was 53F and calm. Its windy and 72F right now. So weather had nothing to do with the long smoke time.

They were nearly at 2 hours per pound when I wrapped them - so this is another example of pulled pork being done when its done. Always give yourself extra time! Pulled pork can rest in a cooler for a few hours!

I will post some pics in a new thread when our big get-together is over.

I feel your pain. After getting bitten a couple of times smoking butts and brisket for the big summer bbq my wife and I throw every year I've learned to try and aim for 4 hours early. Wrapping in a towel and resting in a cooler brings me a lot of peace of mind.

Why do you not just set the smoker at 250 and let it go.
Even with 4x8#+ butts in my MES40, they are always (like NEVER, EVER, NOT) done by 13 hrs (and probably cooked enough to be pullable by 11hrs) without perseverating about stalls and wrapping.
I mean SO DONE that all you have to do is sqeeze the deliciously tender meat through your gloved fingers.

You are gaining absolutely nothing by turning the temp down that low.

Nothing in that butt is going to improve if you keep it in your cooker for 6 more hours.
There is so much in the way of interstitial fat and innate moisture that you really have to try in order to screw one up.

Save the sphincter tone for something harder to cook, like brisket, baby backs, or Tri-tip.:emoji_wink:

Why do you not just set the smoker at 250 and let it go.
Even with 4x8#+ butts in my MES40, they are always (like NEVER, EVER, NOT) done by 13 hrs (and probably cooked enough to be pullable by 11hrs) without perseverating about stalls and wrapping.
I mean SO DONE that all you have to do is sqeeze the deliciously tender meat through your gloved fingers.

You are gaining absolutely nothing by turning the temp down that low.

Nothing in that butt is going to improve if you keep it in your cooker for 6 more hours.
There is so much in the way of interstitial fat and innate moisture that you really have to try in order to screw one up.

Save the sphincter tone for something harder to cook, like brisket, baby backs, or Tri-tip.:emoji_wink:

I hear you - but this is week 2 of turkey season and I had to go turkey hunting this morning - followed with morel mushroom hunting (but I got rained out before shroom hunting). Of course I did not mention that in my original post...but "low and slow" with a "speed up later" fit the schedule. I normally do PP at 275F.

I hear you - but this is week 2 of turkey season and I had to go turkey hunting this morning - followed with morel mushroom hunting (but I got rained out before shroom hunting). Of course I did not mention that in my original post...but "low and slow" with a "speed up later" fit the schedule. I normally do PP at 275F.
not getting the logic, glad it worked out though

You DEFINITELY have your priorities in order!!!! :emoji_thumbsup:
We're heading to Kansas next Thursday to turkey hunt with some friends... I'll be making some jerky this week for the trip. Picked up a 10# sirloin tip roast for $2.79/lb....

Reactions: uncle eddie
I used to live in CoMo, and I was blessed to have folks like Ralph and Maryann Gates who gave me opportunities to keep the turkeys from taking over.

I helped them with a serious "clay pigeon problem" last Saturday haha

I didn't want the PP to get "done" while I was out hunting is all...that's why I smoked it at a lower then my normal 275F temp.
thanks for spelling it out. been drinking since early am cooking a 11.5 pounder
I get it now

I didn’t realize how good I had it, shooting-wise until I left. Could shoot skeet, trap and fivestand at cedar creek until I got bored, and then drive 20 minutes west and play SC at River Hills until I ran out of bullets....

Attachments

• IMG_3993 .jpg
    IMG_3993 .jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3996 (1).jpg
    IMG_3996 (1).jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3999.jpg
    IMG_3999.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4001 .jpg
    IMG_4001 .jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4006 .jpg
    IMG_4006 .jpg
    197 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4008.jpg
    IMG_4008.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4004.jpg
    IMG_4004.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 45
Never once have a finished a butt "on time" lol. Best I've been able to do is about 2 hours after the rest of the meat is done. It always takes longer than I expected.

This is a big part of why I want to get a good, well-insulated electric smoker someday, so that I can start a couple big butts the night before without worry!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky