Turkey thawing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All the latest health reports concerning washing or rinsing your Turkey seem to be in agreement 100%. Don't need to and don't do it. :D
4 days I think might work.

So who else is dropping that bird into the reefer today to start the Thanksgiving thaw??
(Hand up) yep, this guy too. I bought a bag of lump charcoal and some Pecan chunks. I'm ready. I use a bullet smoker and spatchcock the turkey. It turns out nice.

There is a difference between washing the bird with clean dishes drying in the rack next to the sink and your salad fixings laid out on the other side of the sink. Verses, Clearing the counters of everything that could be contaminated, washing the Turkey, then sanitizing the surfaces of and surrounding the sink, before proceeding with the prep.
Many of the Don't Wash reports assume people are completely clueless about sanitation and food safety. Frankly, They Are!
If we are careful, it can be done safely...JJ

There is a difference between washing the bird with clean dishes drying in the rack next to the sink and your salad fixings laid out on the other side of the sink. Verses, Clearing the counters of everything that could be contaminated, washing the Turkey, then sanitizing the surfaces of and surrounding the sink, before proceeding with the prep.
Many of the Don't Wash reports assume people are completely clueless about sanitation and food safety. Frankly, They Are!
If we are careful, it can be done safely...JJ

Yes, carefully done it's fine. Still not necessary and a waste of time. In my opinion.
People do it because it's always been done, since the 12th century or longer I'm sure.

Yes, carefully done it's fine. Still not necessary and a waste of time. In my opinion.
People do it because it's always been done, since the 12th century or longer I'm sure.

Necessary? I agree, no, it is not as any bacteria, introduced in processing, will be killed when cooked.
For the " wash it " folks, it's the YUCK factor they are worried about.
I follow a Thai Cook on Youtube. The young lady washes and hand scrubs every fresh ingredient 3X.
I had students with Vietnam War Vet Dads. They would not eat any Rice not grown in America because Dad told them of unsanitary practices in the Rice Paddies.
A lot of kitchen practices are done because, " That's what Mom used to do..."
Me? A bird going from plastic to the oven or pot, I don't wash. Wet or Dry Brined birds as well as Cured birds, get a washing to remove excess salt...JJ

Reactions: Rings Я Us
That Mike Calaveko guy on create tv cooking tips just said to keep in mind that you need 24 hours for each 4-5 lbs of Turkey. I just saw his tip. :D
Calemeco? Haha.. cooking chef tv guy anyway.. (to thaw)

We'll be pulling it out of the deep freeze on Sunday. TG won't be celebrated until black Friday.

Chris

I put a 21 pounder in the fridge on Thursday. Last year it took a whole week to thaw out the same size bird. And even after a week there was still ice crystals in the cavity! Maybe my fridge is colder than most.
Al

2 x 15lbs’ers going in the fridge today. They’ll get washed after the brine overnight Wednesday.

Sunday morning. It's a bone-in breast, not a whole bird.

90% of the time, the bird defrosts in the refer. But, timing with weather and shopper availability does not always lead to the Turkey arriving early enough. It is then a 20qt Stock Pot in the Bathtub that comes to the rescue! Cold water covers the bird and a slow drizzle of water provides convection. A 20 pound bird defrosts in 8-10 hours...JJ

Probably tomorrow...just doing a bone-in breast for a smaller gathering this year. Been a busy year of moving..can you believe this is the first cook for the WSM this year!? :(

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky