Turkey ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
OK, I thought it was time for a bit of playing around. No its not a tune up, I don't cook on the holidays. I have done that enough, time to allow the new generation the fun and frustration so they'll have their own stories to someday laugh about. No doubt while watching their kids learn. LOL

Awhile back someone whom I will not mention his name left the meat freezer's door open and well it smelled narly. Almost like after a hurricane used to...

I always keep butts, briskets and a turkey or two plus all the other small stuff. So I got another turkey. This one was a Butterball Premium. Since it was already enhanced, although only 8%, I decided to skip the brine and go the injected route. Been a while since I injected and thats the only way my Pop used to do 'em.... I knew I could use some practice.

Pop's injection sauce was much like everything else, his recipes he kept in his wallet. Seriously, it was one of his that he to this day keeps in his wallet. LOL.... its not like its something unusual though. I bet if you just look at the pictures you'll figure it out.

I won't bore you with the same old BS, I defrosted the turkey, a day and 1/2. O place 'en in the old brine bucket with water and set 'em in the bathtub after weighing it down. And ta-da its was a turkey. It was a 20+ pound turkey, I really don't even notice the weight anymore and I know thats a bad habit. Took years to figure out the smoking times using all the variables, now I just stick a thermometer in the breast and get after it.

So let me introduce you this the bird, well everyone knows that the bird is the word!

IMG_8277.JPG

Note the fan, I ran the fan on it for about 45 mins. to form a pellicle. No one likes rubbery skin. I wish you could have seen the yellow color from the fat rising up. After forming the pellicle, I injected it.

Don't try and tell me that there is red blooded American man that can't tell all the major muscles on the turkey. As kids we started with the wings and progressively worked our way up. You know this bird!

Lets talk hypodermic. 2.50 at every seed & feed I ever went into. Yes you can spend ALOT more And I have more than my share of them, but the cattle hypo is IMHO still the best, cheapest, easiest, and easy to find in any town, village, burg or city! There is always a a seed & feed in ever community. I like the short needles, because you don't need the long ones. They usually cause the injector to put too much juice in the bird and half of it squirts out, while the other half just pools in the meat. I use the small needle, numerous injections with just a little juice injected at one time. You also want to get into the major muscles high and low, close and far.

The chicken above is already injected. do you see any clotted butter on the skin or pan? Its in the bird. Remember the bird is the word!

Here is the bird, you can see the pellicle, and its all juiced up. That yellow is the fat and not the butter.

IMG_8279.JPG

Then I actually sort of massage the meat to try and get the juices distributed into the muscles. The Bird likes this part and appreciates you using warm hands. Then its into the reefer overnight to get good and chilled again.

The next day, smoker. I used the 40 because the 30 is sick. I hate that little tiny chip tray but hallelujah & praise the lord I have an aux. smoke generator. I have most of the Amazing products also but this time it was the Masterbuilt generator. I preheat to 275 and allow it to stabilize. 30 to 45 mins. and while awaiting I pull the bird from the reefer remobe the once damp paper towels from it (inside and out). Insure its not too dehydrated. Then rub it down with suntan lotion. Think I used olive oil today, but just whatever you reach in the pantry and grab first. I go back outside, and load the generator, with chips or shells. place the chimney in the generator but no need to turn it on yet.

I get the bird and remember that the bird is the word, place it in the smoker, open the vent fully, and go clean up your mess. About an hour later come check everything. I am going to start calling this the dewater cycle, because it does, and it also preheats the bird usually to about 50 to 80 degrees IT, depending upon the bird mass, and how cold it was.

I insert the remote thermometer dead center in the breast for the nest reading and Click on the generator. OK, I didn't tell ya I did put some chips in the chip tray because I like the smoke smell but it was only for me to enjoy it. Doesn't do much for the Bird.

So here we go......... Heres the first hour probed.

IMG_8283.JPG

4 hours in........

IMG_8285.JPG

I think about 6........ IT was 163

IMG_8290.JPG

See all those juices in the pan? Remember to pull it a bit early and allow the temp to travel while it sits. I try to allow for a 10 degree temp drop before pulling the thermometer, usuall longer.

What I didn't really concentrate on, bird weight, who cares, you are cooking to an IT. Time smoked? I do sometimes worry about time smoked if it is a large bird. You regulate your temperature to facilitate the time you want. Had this been a big bird I would have gone lower and slower. Why? Because bigger birds are tuffer, lower and slow will beat down tuff every time. Also its a wood consideration. What color are you wanting? Deep mahogany? Bright Red? Light Brown? You are in control of all these things, just plan accordingly.

BTW today's bird was brought to you by the color apple. I love how apple makes a turkey look, its almost like an amber window when looking at or thru the skin, beautiful.

Well that's it, now I gotta go figure what to do with all this meat....ROFLMAO

Thanks for checking it out......... If I missed something just ask......... I hope everyone has a pleasant holiday season and all that all your birds are the word.

PS:: I wish I had brined the bird, or even brined it also. Its juicy but nothing like it would have been had I brined it. I think when brined it just holds on to all those juices you see in the tray better. Again just IMHO.

Last edited:
Bird is the word. I enjoyed your comments. Like you, I always brine the bird when either smoking or frying. Can you tell me more regarding larger birds and what temps you use for "low and slow"? Larger birds tend to be tougher for me to cook. Pun intended.

BogeyDriver

Bird is the word. I enjoyed your comments. Like you, I always brine the bird when either smoking or frying. Can you tell me more regarding larger birds and what temps you use for "low and slow"? Larger birds tend to be tougher for me to cook. Pun intended.

BogeyDriver

As always Kevin a great post and an enjoyable read. AND a beautiful looking bird. Your birds are consistently a work of art.
I'm also curious about what temp you low and slow cook large birds.
POINT
Gary
+

Thank you both. Well most folks nowadays are into fast or instant gratification so smoking is the same. I think its funny, you'll smoke for 6 hours and complain about it taking 12....LOL. If you can smoke a chicken at 275+ and have it ready in 2 hours with little or no degradation, that is where you automatically go. That's cool, I do it that way too (most of the time). But you get a bigger bird you you want low and slow. Why? Don't ya hate trying to get the leg meat off with all those hard tendons attached? Low & slower would cure that. My Pop, a much better smoker than I'll ever be, he could grab that nub on the leg and pull it, most near all those tendons would pull out still attached. Damn sure makes that leg more appetizing. The breast meat is more tender also. Today with what we know about those magic hours to cook so as to insure product safety against bacteria we try to to cook too fast IMHO.

They opened a smoke house up the road years ago and it was the first time I know of that I ever tasted a turkey cured. Most folks after while actually thought that cured taste was part of the smoke. I came here (SMF), and learned from Pop that Curing increases the amount of time required to reach that safe temperature. So it seemed the right thing to do even though Pop never did it. Kind of like adding cure now to sausages for safety. Pop understands the why, but he still laughs at me every time I add some....LOL

If you'll add some cure to your brine you can extend the length of your smoke, I guess indefinitely. So if you can now get really low and slow, AND you understand your smoke application you can smoke all night if you like. Its like everything with smoking the lower and slower, the more tender the meat. I can't say use 200 degrees for 20 hours and apply smoke from from 100 to 150 IT only, You have to know your pit. You're the pitmaster.

Try this before thanksgiving a monster chicken. It won't show as much because of the tenderness but try a low and slow bird. and see if you can't tell a little difference, but it won't be much because its just not tuff. How about think about a BUTT, whats the difference in cooking one at 325 for 8 hours and cooking one at 200 for 24 hours? You can eat them both.

After thanksgiving turkeys will be on sale for 1.00/lb you can afford to experiment. Buy ya a couple and play with your pit. Wouldn't you spend 20.00 to spend the night around a nice happy smoker? That's a hell of deal.

BTW I now use apple exclusively on turkeys, I add pecan with it for a better smoke taste because the apple alone is so light. Not too much pecan though.

I tried to explain, I need one of those "talk to type" software packages....LOL

That bird looks really good Foam, and you can always send some my way if you have too much :D

I recently started regularly brining birds, and will not do anything else with all future poultry cooks.

That bird looks really good Foam, and you can always send some my way if you have too much :D

I recently started regularly brining birds, and will not do anything else with all future poultry cooks.

Brining is now my go-to way also. Well I still like a good Nekkid Chicken.

LOL.. ya know I broke it down and got all the meat in a 2 gallon ziploc. Now I am scratching my head thinking about what I an going toi do with it all....LOL

Ahhhhhhh !!!! Nice doo on the bird Kevin... I love a turkey that looks like yours...

Thanks Dave, it better than some but not as good as the brined one. I have just been spoiled.

If ya still got some dark meat left along with some of the pan drippings, try this soup foamy...
http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/smoked-duck-and-cauliflower-soup.269161/
with the cold weather comin, it's a nice change up from gumbo!
recipe is on the first page 2/3 the way down....

I appreciate it but Cauliflower is not my ideal starch. As a kid we always grew broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage & greens in the winter garden. I just never developed a taste for it. I really don't dislike it, its more like just some bland adder IMHO. I see now to sell more cauliflower they have bags that they call cauliflower "pearls". You are right though, I am definitely a smoked turkey gumbo lover, but normally its mostly carcass. This week, I made a smoked turkey-neck gravy. Now that's good stuff too!

BTW your soup looked good too. That was a fair bunch of birds ya had there too.

I wanted to say, of all K-Pauls recipes I most favor his sticky chicken. Someone borrowed my book, but my memory still works most of the time. He's mostly a Cajun with cream IMHO. We never cooked with cream, but he is also from Opelousaes. That's north of I 10 <chuckles>

Last edited:
Great looking bird Foamy as with everything I've seen you do. So something new gained here in your brine you are mixing I assume cure #1 for safety on a large bird cook time. What is the ratio of the cure per pond of bird. I to always smoke my bird with apple wood but most of the time I do 12lb birds. Like the idea of the cure to do larger birds.

Warren

Foam, Toss the cauli in your favorite oil, on a sheet pan heat it in a 450 oven until it gets some brown.. Salt/pepper etc. and it's really good... Brown cauli, like brown meat, takes on a nutty delish flavor...

Great looking bird Foamy as with everything I've seen you do. So something new gained here in your brine you are mixing I assume cure #1 for safety on a large bird cook time. What is the ratio of the cure per pond of bird. I to always smoke my bird with apple wood but most of the time I do 12lb birds. Like the idea of the cure to do larger birds.

Warren

Thank you. Pop's cure is a constant. There is no change but to flavor modifiers. 1C Brown Sugar, 1C White Sugar, 1C Salt (This is your one slider but I usually stay the course) and #1 cure to a gallon total of water as either ice or water. Sometimes I need two gallons, sometimes like with chickens only 1/2 gallon but the proportions are always the same. I use canning salt, a more finely ground for easier dissolving salt, so I reduce the volume used to about 3/4C.

The cure is for safety, the amazing Pop's Fassett has taught so many of us how easy it is and what a really nice flavor it can add when you figure out your your specific tastes. I fell into it by accident, a local commercial smoke house opened up in town about 50 years ago and their turkeys were the talk of the state. How original the taste was and the smoke was perfect (of course it was because back then it meant I didn't have to stand around and tend the stupid fire!). What it really was, they added cure to their "enhanced" smoked turkeys. I still like it when I have the time, and isn't that the cross we bear about smoking? LOL and I used to think defrosting was a pain to wait thru.

I watched a show a long time ago about how things change and the size of turkeys was one of the items they discussed. you can do 2 each 12's instead of a 20#er, have 4 drum sticks and a bird easier handled while cooking and it fits in any stove.

I actually read an article tjust the other day that said turkeys since 1960 have been continuously been growing bigger, it said most prior to where 15#. Not sure I agree with that, when I was a wee little tot I remember going to the farmers house and buying a live turkey every year. AND it was BIG, of course I was small too..LOL But Norman Rockwell paintings depict a huge turkey on the table in all his pictures and we all know Norman Rockwell wouldn't paint a falsehood! <Chuckles>

LOL... sorry just got all long winded on yas...>LOL

Foam, Toss the cauli in your favorite oil, on a sheet pan heat it in a 450 oven until it gets some brown.. Salt/pepper etc. and it's really good... Brown cauli, like brown meat, takes on a nutty delish flavor...

I eat it, I don't dislike it really, its just never my first choice. Oh and you should try boiling it, the whole head, then transferring to a oven or microwave safe bowl, pour a can of Rotel on top of it and bake for 15/20 mins. then take sandwich cheese slices and lay on it and melt. It always sells well but.......

I saw somewhere were someone sliced a head, oiled, S&P'd and did that on the grill.

Since you recommended it I'll have to try it.

Yep, truth. This is why I braise/stew down the cauliflower for the soup base until it starts to brown and get a little blonde color to it. Really changes the flavor. (Enjoying a bowl as I type for a late lunch...)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky