Turkey day UK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

James Ballard

Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
Hello all,

new member and new to smoking (mostly pork belly and a couple of chickens) but old hand at direct heat cooking.

Planning on smoking a medium sized turkey for Christmas dinner but wanted to get the consensus on my plan before I set it in motion.

Was planning on smoking to temperature late on Christmas eve. Leave the bird to settle in a cooler overnight (to try and maintain the internal temperature) and then glaze and rotisserie the turkey on Christmas day.

Is this insane? will I just dry up the turkey breast by double cooking? Will I kill everyone with food poisoning?

I'm using this plan to avoid missing "the dinner deadline" my other half has set for me as I have a habit of underestimating smoking times (it's a home made smoker so a little temperamental to control!)

Any advice would be welcome

Not sure if you require the classic presentation, but if not split the bird in half and smoke that morning after a 12- 16 hour brine. Should only take 3-4 hours depending on size of the bird/the unit you're using to smoke with. I did mine 325 or so. Cook times were consistent for 3 16 lb birds over two days

Trying to avoid using the smoker completely on the day. It's a home made one from a beer keg and a barrel bbq somebody was throwing away so it's not that controllable!

Wanted the classic presentation which is why i had planned to finish on the rotisserie

Not sure if you require the classic presentation, but if not split the bird in half and smoke that morning after a 12- 16 hour brine. Should only take 3-4 hours depending on size of the bird/the unit you're using to smoke with. I did mine 325 or so. Cook times were consistent for 3 16 lb birds over two days

Am i to assume then that you would not recommend reheating on the spit?

My (possibly faulty logic) was to tighten the glaze over the rotisserie while getting the skin to crisp up a little and getting the internal temp back up.

Will be testing it with a couple of chickens on saturday. I'll let people know if i cause a salmonella outbreak

Am i to assume then that you would not recommend reheating on the spit?

I can't really speak to reheating methods. All the ones I know/use are more for beef/pork and probably would not be ideal for poultry.

I personally don't know a way to reheat a whole bird that reconstitutes the skin and doesn't dry the bird out. It's a lean piece of meat after all.

I also don't know about leaving it in a cooler over night. I'd be a bit suspect that it can hold safe temps for that long, but I have no proof. It's just a gut feeling. I don't ever trust poultry to not make me sick.

I can't really speak to reheating methods. All the ones I know/use are more for beef/pork and probably would not be ideal for poultry.

I personally don't know a way to reheat a whole bird that reconstitutes the skin and doesn't dry the bird out. It's a lean piece of meat after all.

I also don't know about leaving it in a cooler over night. I'd be a bit suspect that it can hold safe temps for that long, but I have no proof. It's just a gut feeling. I don't ever trust poultry to not make me sick.

Better then to chill it in the fridge and warm it up for longer?

I'm getting the impression I'm in rather uncharted territory. I may have to bite the bullet and get the bird smoking on Christmas morning

Reactions: fivetricks
I agree, just do it on the spit on Christmas morn and add a few chunks of wood for some smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky